For case guys who like old quality stuff

kenbob

Not a Case item, but Case guys like quality old stuff so here: I was trying to find a better planter (i have 3 Gardenway/earthway seeders) for planting beets. They only have 1 beet plate for these. I plant about 3lb or seed and I waste a lot, which I could live with, but it requires a lot of thinning. Hoss and Jaing are too expensive for my tastes. I saw a Planet JR no 2 near me and went to look. They still make Planet Jr and they had some that are set up like a Hoss seeder from several years past but this one has no plates. It is iron, wood handles, and brass drum. There is a brass strap that goes around the drum and both have the same sized diamond holes, by loosening and moving the strap you can plant everything from corn down to the tiniest seed with no plates to change. I plant several different varieties of beets and each one seems to have a different sized seed. This is great as it only takes a second to adjust the size.

What I have found out so far, is my seeder model was 40 years old or so by 1920 per info in an online manual. I tried to find out from the folks who make the Planet Jr today when they quit making my model. I got a very short answer saying they didn't know and the tone indicated I was bothering them. I found an article in Farm Collector from 2011 about a guy who collected these. He had a 12 year old email address listed. I have not heard back from him.
Someone else on the implement page says mine is at least 100 years old, though it works and looks pretty good for that old. I also found out the guy chose the name because he thought it looked like the planet saturn and its rings. See picture! The man also invented the flexible flyer (steerable) sled.
cvphoto146657.jpg

cvphoto146658.jpg

The company was out of PA and the seeders and wheel hoes where quite popular with truck farmers. I think they went to the hopper/plate design so they could be converted to weeders after planting. Mine is not, but if it does the beets I am thrilled.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back