Ford 3000 Gas reviews

Retcol

What are some pros and cons for a Ford 3000 gas? I have heard the gas model was an afterthought becasue the diesel model was built first. I am looking for a tractor to be used on tractor rides. The tractor I
was looking at only has the straight 4 speed transmission. I also heard the hour meter seems to fail early.

Whatever pertains to the 2000 you asked about below pertains to a 3000 as well. They are nearly identical machines.
My first 3 cylinder Ford was a plain jane 2000 gasser with 4 speed and no PS or other options. It was a huge step up from the 2N and 8N I had before and I liked it a lot.
Since then I have moved on to a 3000 which has more options - 8 sp, PS, LPTO, diff lock, diesel, etc.
I would not want to go back to that 2000 - not because a 3000 is better but because I like the options - all of which can be had on a 2000 if you hold out for the right tractor.

The 1965+ thousand series tractor engines were designed from the ground up to be both diesel and gasoline burners. The pre-1965 diesels were an afterthought made by modifying the tiger engine that was originally designed for gas, kerosene and LPG gas.

It would fine for tractor rides/parades.Be quieter than diesel and not have to worry about wet stacking idleing around. The 4 speed would be enough gears too.

I, too, have a thousand questions (pun?) about the FORD Thousand Series Models as I want to move up from my N-Series tractors. I have a 12-page 2000 & 3000 Dealer Brochure with Specs but still rely heavily on the experts here like Ultardog, Bern, Shaun, and a few others with actual hands-on experience. I know my next tractor is going to be a 3000 but since I no longer farm, and only will need it to mow grass, grade drive, and plow snow with, do not want a diesel unit or a Sherman or a Select-O-Speed trans. From what I read into the data, the 2000 was not available with SOS anyway, but the 6-8 additional speed claim tells me a Sherman was an option. I also do want Power Steering - my arthritic hands no longer function at 100%. REF the experts here to chime in. One of the FORD books states that the 2000 was supposed to replace the 8N as a 4-SPD GAS at 31 HP was about the same, but I always questioned that since the OHV NAA & Hundred Series came after the 8N and were better engines and more, so maybe I missed something. Here are a few pages from the brochure and a pdf on the 3000 too, but latter may not post. If anyone wants copies of these, email me and I can send to you.

FORD 2000 & 3000 DEALER BROCHURE & DATA SPECS:
PvEe4cbl.jpg
Kw1v0tvl.jpg
vT9b20Ql.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Four speed is geared very high.

Not useful for much but might be OK for tractor rides.

You have said this before and I don't quite understant why.
I did a lot of work with my 1968 4 speed 2000.
Plowing, discing, both rotary and finish mowing, dug/moved a lot of dirt with a rear dirt scoop, back blading, snow plowing and the like.
It wasn't untill a year or 2 after I'd owned it that you said you had borrowed one once and thought it was too fast to do much which surprised me.
One thing to remember is that unlike the Priors, the 3 bangers have significant low end torque which means you don't need the engine to be wound up tight to do something with it.
Is the 4 speed as versatile as the 6 or 8 speeds? Of course not. More is generally better when it comes to gears.
But that little tractor was and is Very capable of doing a lot of useful work.

Power was not the issue. Ground speed was.

Simply too fast in low gear for safe bush hogging around numerous obstacles.

I was often riding the clutch to control ground speed around obstacles and it did not have live PTO.

The hi-lo range was not a Sherman. It is internal to the trans. 2 sticks next to each other. Buddy has a 2000, I have a 3600. His is a 6, mine is an 8 speed. His is used to pull a spreader, 5 ft rotory mower, and arena drag with no issues. Mine rarely goes in to high range. Usually only 3rd gear unless I'm roading to the neighbors to borrow his disc or box blade. He doesn't have a tractor but won't part with them. Just got done putting a clutch in mine, fun times! Mine has a loader. Right foot board and hand throttle to put on yet.

cvphoto136663.jpg

Ford did install a Sherman in the 2/3000s but only in tractors with the 4 speed.
Photo of a page in the owners manual - below my thumb.
I have never seen one in real life.

cvphoto136665.jpg

Never seen or heard that. But you've been around them a lot more than I have. Only been playing with them for about 10 yrs. But UD, you did save my butt with the steering when I first got the 3600! Thanks again.

They sold the 4 speed, with and without the Sherman, up until late 1970, when the 6 speed became the lowest price transmission option.

(quoted from post at 17:26:40 09/25/22) They sold the 4 speed, with and without the Sherman, up until late 1970, when the 6 speed became the lowest price transmission option.

I have one of these (a '72 gasser) that's going to donate a lot of parts to my 4410. A shame, but the 4410 has been waiting patiently for an organ donor most of the past 30 years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back