Help Ford 3000 sos

Georoland

New User
I have a 65 ford 3000 SOS gas tractor and am losing rpm when going up an incline with pto engaged if I don’t press the inching pedal in the tractor dies. The tractor sat over the winter for 4 months. Within the last week I had problems starting it so I replaced Plugs, wires, starter, solenoid, voltage regulator, oil change and new battery and battery cables. Down shifting while going up hill slightly raises rpm’s.

The pto is dash mounted t shape handle. I had no issues last year with power loss. Tractor operates normal when pto is not engaged.

Last edited:
So the engine loses loses rpms when you are going uphill, but only if the PTO is engaged? Does the fuel line from the tank still route up to the original manual fuel pump up on the front of the engine before going back to the sediment bowl by the carb? If so, maybe the diaphragm is going bad so that it only really works well when gravity is providing an assist. If the original manual pump is being bypassed, then you need to keep the fuel tank well above half full to be able to go up steep slopes.

So the engine loses loses rpms when you are going uphill, but only if the PTO is engaged? Does the fuel line from the tank still route up to the original manual fuel pump up on the front of the engine before going back to the sediment bowl by the carb? If so, maybe the diaphragm is going bad so that it only really works well when gravity is providing an assist. If the original manual pump is being bypassed, then you need to keep the fuel tank well above half full to be able to go up steep slopes.
I am not sure about the fuel line I will look at it when I get home this afternoon. I do know it has a full tank of fresh gas that I added last week.

I am not sure about the fuel line I will look at it when I get home this afternoon. I do know it has a full tank of fresh gas that I added last week.
The fuel line does run to the front of the engine before going back to the sediment bowl

I replaced the voltage regulator should I have flashed it?
The VR does not need to be polarized. It is the generator that needs to be polarized when you install a new one. Polarizing the generator can be done easily with the wires at the VR, so that is why some people mistakenly think that the VR needs to be polarized.

Why did you replace the VR? Was it having a separate charging issue? A bad VR is not likely to cause the symptoms that you describe.

Another question, what implement is connected to the PTO?

I replaced the VR because the old one had a broken plastic housing cover. As for the implement I am using a brush hog. I’ve used the tractor for 2 years to brush hog our fields with no issues other than the battery draining each winter.

I replaced the VR because the old one had a broken plastic housing cover. As for the implement I am using a brush hog. I’ve used the tractor for 2 years to brush hog our fields with no issues other than the battery draining each winter.
If you let it sit all winter without being connected to a charger, then the battery will be low each spring. You should get a battery tender, which is a smart charger that charges a battery and senses when it is full of charge and then it switches to a "maintaining" mode where it keeps the battery topped off , but doesn't over charge it, so it doesn't boil off the electrolyte. If you don't have electricity available where you park it in the winter, and you don't use the tractor in the winter, remove the battery from the tractor and store it somewhere where electricity is available.

Since you say that the fuel tank is full, I think it is most likely the governor that isn't working properly.

If you let it sit all winter without being connected to a charger, then the battery will be low each spring. You should get a battery tender, which is a smart charger that charges a battery and senses when it is full of charge and then it switches to a "maintaining" mode where it keeps the battery topped off , but doesn't over charge it, so it doesn't boil off the electrolyte. If you don't have electricity available where you park it in the winter, and you don't use the tractor in the winter, remove the battery from the tractor and store it somewhere where electricity is available.

Since you say that the fuel tank is full, I think it is most likely the governor that isn't working properly.
I’m attaching two photos. The first one has a view of the governor where the top arm runs behind the distributor and carburetor is bent. Could this affect the RPMs when PTO is engaged? The second photo has an arrow to a lever behind the carburetor and I’m not sure if something is supposed to be connected to that.

Attachments

• IMG_5246.jpeg
    IMG_5246.jpeg
    822.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 15
I’m attaching two photos. The first one has a view of the governor where the top arm runs behind the distributor and carburetor is bent. Could this affect the RPMs when PTO is engaged? The second photo has an arrow to a lever behind the carburetor and I’m not sure if something is supposed to be connected to that.
Here is a picture of the spring I’m missing which I think is my problem. I may have knocked it off when I was putting the air intake hose back on. Now I just need to find a replacement spring.

Attachments

• IMG_5247.png
    IMG_5247.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
I got the governor replaced and the above mentioned spring however I was still experiencing the same problems. I was noticing my coil sparking on top so I replaced that and the carb. Since then the tractor has done fine going uphill. Now I just need to adjust the carbs air fuel ratio. I should also mention that the spark plug wires were not connected in the proper order

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back