Ford 3000 Not Starting - Help

CraigRou

New User
"68 Ford 3000 Diesel. Have not used over the winter, ran fine last Fall. Needed new battery, which I replaced. The engine cranks well but never fires. I have a repo manual that states I should depress the excess fuel button for cold starting. I press it but it won"t stay depressed. I have tried holding it in while cranking but it makes no difference.

I assume the cylinder behind the fuel filters is the starter. It gets really hot and produces wiffs of smoke after cranking for a while.

Any advise appreciated.
 
Hey , i seen this forum it made me laugh. It had just happend to me a couple months ago with my cockshutt 30, it wouldnt stop , i finally got fed up , took the whole thing apart and cleaned and greeced up everything , and i got it work , my cilinders were just frozen so i would look at them , if you hadnt already fixed it, thats atleast what im thinking was wrong with it , i just cleaned the whole thing , and tryed my best to make it work.
 
I don't think that cold-start button is keeping tractor from starting. probably fuel system has air-locked from sitting. on the side of your sims in-line injector pump is a small supply pump with a lever to hand-pump fuel thru system. crack bleeders on fuel filters,pump solid stream, tighten. move to injector pump, find bleeder and do same.try cranking it with throttle opened some. should get some black smoke. if not, swing bat. out & loosen injector lines, crank engine til all spray & retighten. crank in short bursts with very hot batt. or your starter will burn up.
 
As far as using the excess fuel button... the throttle has to be part- way opened for it to stay in. I usually have it 3/4 open or so if I need to use the button.
 
You don't give any indication of climate and fuel left inn the system. Although it is now warmer the waxes in the fuel could easily have dropped out of the fuel and clogged the system in that time-scale. Any small leak on the spill side of the infectors could have allowed air into the system.
Change filters and bleed the system. It must be air free. Check you have fuel delivery at the injectors before grinding the starter motor to death.

It would seem just to be a logical progression through the fuel system until all is well and it will fire. Use of the cold start button may help.

Regards, RAB
 
I opened the drains at the fuel filters to make sure I was getting fuel to there. Then I just pumped the fuel excess button like I would a primer on a weedeater and suddenly she just fired. I have had this tractor for about 7 years and never even knew that button existed nor needed it.

Thanks for the input and let the grass cutting begin :-)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top