Ford 3000 throwout question

NCWayne

Well-known Member
Hey guys I've got a 3000 in the shop with the double clutch and the wound, torsion spring inside the housing on the throwout bearing shaft. I've done a few Fords over the years but this is the first time I've seen this spring setup, all of the others I have done have had the external springs. That said the manual says to slip the end of the spring off of the tab on the inside of the housing to release it so the throwout bearing and collar will come out. OK, I did that and saw sparks when it cleared the ear and released but everything did come out like it should. Now my question....how the heck do you get the dang thing rewrapped/retensioned when putting it back together????? All the book says is to 'reverse' the proceedure which sounds good but appears to be easier said than done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
I did it on my 3000 a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember that long ago but if I was able to do it I'm sure you can too. Good luck. Rick
 
(quoted from post at 09:11:13 02/23/10) Hey guys I've got a 3000 in the shop with the double clutch and the wound, torsion spring inside the housing on the throwout bearing shaft. I've done a few Fords over the years but this is the first time I've seen this spring setup, all of the others I have done have had the external springs. That said the manual says to slip the end of the spring off of the tab on the inside of the housing to release it so the throwout bearing and collar will come out. OK, I did that and saw sparks when it cleared the ear and released but everything did come out like it should. Now my question....how the heck do you get the dang thing rewrapped/retensioned when putting it back together????? All the book says is to 'reverse' the proceedure which sounds good but appears to be easier said than done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have not seen this on a tractor YET but do run across it on other applications,,, it should be possible to relieve the tension some how at least enuff to install the tensioner spring....
 
reinstall using a length of 1/4" chain slip end link over the leg of the spring and pull it back around by hand. easy enuff?
 
Thanks, for the tip. I knew that I needed something to pull it back in place but with the end being stuck almost straight toward the backs of the housing I couldn't figure out what I could get on it. Thinking about yout tip though I can see where a piece of chain ought to work pretty easily.

You know they say a day gone by without learning something is a wasted day and I just learned a new trick, so I can honestly say this has been a pretty good day...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top