Ford 4000 HD industrial backhoe info needed

enderblue

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by Andy Wickiser on September 09, 2019 at 20:49:38.
The original subject was Re: Ford 4000 HD industrial backhoe info needed.

I am looking to purchase a Ford 4000 HD Industrial that has a loader and back hoe. Is the back hoe able to be removed and a 3pt hitch with PTO under/behind it?

If it has a backhoe, then it most likely doesn't have a 3 point lift. If it does have one,then at least some of the parts aren't there. Look on the top cover, under the seat for the upper lift arms and quadrant handle and on the right side of the engine near the flywheel for the pump. If those three things are there then the only parts missing might be the lower arms and the linkage between the upper and lower arms.

Yes, they are out there with a backhoe and with 3pt/pto. That said I don't know if that was a factory, dealer, or owner installed and this is by no means scientific just what I have noticed on my own machines. It seems that on the HD Industrials the combination of both the 3pt/pto and backhoe was more common early on than later. So it is easier to find an 1801's with 3pt/pto and a backhoe than a 4140 with that combination. Naturally, that probably would vary by location, but that is what I have noticed in my area. With the 4040 not a lot of them around(by me at least) so hard to say, the 4040s that I have never had backhoes on them.HD industrials with backhoes from 1958-65;
cvphoto87992.png

My thought is the best way to get the correct answer to your question is you need to look at the tractor in question and see if those items are there.

Yeah, I'm looking at one on Facebook marketplace. Trying to decide if it's worth having, even if it doesn't have the 3pt. hitch and pto. I am trying to get the seller to post some pictures of the area in between the backhoe and tractor. I also asked if they could locate the little plate that has the model and serial number.

I do appreciate all of the feedback. It has definitely helped.

Hello IndFord , Three point and Pto were standard on models that included them , in the 1801 series 1841,1871 and 1881 were standard with three point and pto however 1811 and 1821 did not come with three point and pto . The ordering of a backhoe has nothing to do with it , in fact Ford promoted it quite heavily on the early Industrials as it only takes 15/20 minutes to drop the backhoe off on the job site to use three point implements , lift arms slide into the main frame and stay on the tractor at all times only the drawbar comes off which isnt needed for any implements anyways . The 4040s and 4140s were similar with separate models with or without three point and pto . Most Dealers ordered models with three point and pto and removed them for customers who didnt want or need them and gave them a credit back on the tractor when used as a backhoe only . Both of my 58s are 1841s , both of my Gold Demos an 1871 and 1881 are all backhoes the 4040s I had were three point and pto backhoes but were sold and my 63,64 and 65 4140s are all three point and pto backhoes , All of my Light Duty Industrials are three point and pto backhoes also . I would say areas that were heavy with small contractors more city and suburbs those tractors would have been more popular as a one tractor fits all jobs where larger contractors with more equipment wouldnt care as much or municipalities who wanted just backhoes . Here in New England out of dozens I have owned , sold or parted the majority are all three point and pto . Also out here mine are Elenco equipped as that was quite common too on Dealer lots . Tony

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back