Ford 420 No fuel to injectors

Best have ALL injector lines loose at the injectors for bleeding, NOT one at a time. Also crank engine for 30 seconds at a time, then stop for a bit for starter to cool. Most rotary pumps won't bleed well to injectors with only 5/6 seconds crank time.
Copy that. I will try. I think I ran the starter for maybe only 10 seconds at a time.

If that doesn’t do it, would you recommend taking the pump back off and disassembling the head assembly to blow out all of those bores? Was kind of wishing I did that.

Also, i noticed in my pics that the end plate has some scoring. I replaced the blades but not the plate. Assuming I’d just replace the end plate, transfer pump parts, maybe reg valve parts if it comes with that.

Attachments

• IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43
Slightly scored will still work fine, a new one does NOT come with the parts inside. Only way to know for sure if end plate is good to use is with pump on a test bench to verify calibration.

Thanks for all the help so far. Had the pump off twice to clean and reseal everything…took it back off after I decided to replace the transfer pump components. All looked good and think it went back together correctly. Tried to tow start today and have fuel spitting at the injectors and smoke but still no start. Wondering if I messed up the timing since it seems like the injectors fuel is getting there just won’t fire.

I put the pump in the same spot using the lettered marking. Seems like that is just to get you close so the bolts line up? I put the pump back to the same spot it was on the degree marks.

I guess the question is…could I be off 180 or something like that? Is there a way to check without taking the pump off again?

Attachments

• IMG_9160.jpeg
    IMG_9160.jpeg
    560.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8401.jpeg
    IMG_8401.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for all the help so far. Had the pump off twice to clean and reseal everything…took it back off after I decided to replace the transfer pump components. All looked good and think it went back together correctly. Tried to tow start today and have fuel spitting at the injectors and smoke but still no start. Wondering if I messed up the timing since it seems like the injectors fuel is getting there just won’t fire.

I put the pump in the same spot using the lettered marking. Seems like that is just to get you close so the bolts line up? I put the pump back to the same spot it was on the degree marks.

I guess the question is…could I be off 180 or something like that? Is there a way to check without taking the pump off again?
The CAV DPA pumps have the two drive plate bolts offset so it can't be 180 degrees out there. Are you sure the drive gear PIN is in the pump drive hub SLOT? I've seen that missed before on Perkins engines as the three drive gear bolts are evenly spaced. Look at the gear front, if the pin is flush the pin is in OK, if it's pushed out the front about 1/4 inch it's NOT in the hub notch. The ONLY other way it could be out of time is if the gear was removed and installed wrong. Perkins and Ford have the gear tight enough in the case gear can't jump teeth with the pump off.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back