Ford 4610SU power steering CYL rebuild

ETD66SS

So I have a 4610SU that goes through about a quart of power steering fluid every hour...

Both steering cylinders drip at the rod wiper constantly. There was a crack in one of the power steering hard lines, silver soldered that but eventually had to buy a new line.

There is also a leak on the steering gearbox, a little weep hole at the top where the shaft comes out. I assume that means there is a bad shaft seal somewhere?

As far as the cylinders go, I bought seal kits like the ones sold on this website. Went to take apart one of the cylinders and the seals were totally different, seems I have the later design with seal, spacer and rod wiper (E5NN3A752BA, E5NN3C56IAA & 163024). All that adds up to close to $100 for both cylinders if I order form Messick's (don't see the later model parts on this website). Before I do that, I'd like to talk to someone who has rebuilt these.

First off, it seems one can never replace the piston seal? It seems the cylinder tube is welded in such a way that you can never fully remove the piston & rod?

Secondly, when I did have one apart, I removed the c-clip, the spacer with the pressed in rod wiper. The seal on the other hand, was not able to remove. Do I just dig that out with a dental pick or something? seems like it presses in on both the I.D. (to the rod) and O.D. (to the CYL body). Just dig that one out any way I can and press in the new one?

I don't think I want to tear apart the steering gearbox just yet, would like to replace the seals in the cylinders and see how much the oil consumption decreases.

https://i.imgur.com/C5AK5X3.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back