The quality difference between the
two head gaskets are night and day.
The one from Messick's is of far
superior quality. The one from
Messick's was far more expensive of
course. I also order new head bolts
and those crazy things are $24 each.

I have 1 comment and 1 question:

Comment: There are different head gasket thicknesses for 5000s, as well as two different bore sizes. If you put a thick gasket where a thin one should go, you'll have a poor starting machine in the winter time.

Question: Why are you replacing the head bolts? I've rebuilt more of those engines than I care to count, and have never ever replaced a head bolt.

I had a BMW motorcycle years ago that needed the head bolts re-torqued after the first couple of hundred miles. You were supposed to torque them to whatever newton rating it called for, and then turn them another 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn, which stretched the bolts like a spring. Those bolts were around $85.00 a piece if I recall correctly. I never had to buy any, but I was curious as to how much they were so I asked.

Bern I talked with Messick's about the different thicknesses and head gaskets. I told them my 5000 is a 1974 256. They told me the one I needed. Are you saying in 1974 a 256 diesel could have more than one possible head gasket? Also on the head bolts I too have reused them but they can stretch. I know for a fact this is the 3rd time this head has been off of this tractor. Once because it over heated before I bought it and the other time is a little hard to believe. I am the second owner of this tractor and it came from a Parks department here in Fort Wayne Indiana. The first time the head was off is because the entire tractor was sunk in a pond. They were actually scraping snow off of a pond for ice skating. The ice broke and it went down. They pulled the tractor out and completely tore it down. This was many many years ago and I was told the tractor was not that old at the time. So I figured that since I got the head off for the third time I might as well go ahead and put in new head bolts. Maybe I don't need to but that's just how I am.

The one time use head bolts are "torque to yield". Not sure how far back those go, I'd suspect that many of the old tractors pre-date the use of TTY head bolts.

If you told them the year of your tractor, you should be fine. A 1974 model would use the thick gasket, which should be approx .050-.060 inch thick uncompressed. I'm more concerned about those guys who simply order a gasket for a 5000 without specifying the year. A lazy parts guy might send him home with the wrong gasket.

Your call on the head bolts. At $24 a pop that adds up fast. I'd reuse them a dozen times without giving it a second thought, as they don't stretch like the new ones do. Just for fun one time I re-installed a single head bolt on a Deere engine (before I pulled the head off) when I knew they labeled them as one-time use, because I wanted to see what would happen. Sure enough, it snapped in half.

FNH started using those style of bolts on the Basildon engines right around the year 2000 or so on the
Genesis engines. Don't quote me on the exact year.

Bern I know you have extensive knowledge of this 5000 diesel engine. I really will probably need to email you or talk to you if you're okay with that once I dig into it. There are a few questions I have. Thank you.

Yes, it's actually a diamond symbol on the top LH corner of the block near the head surface. It was much earlier than 1976, more like 1968 or 1969 I do believe. I'd have to look up an old service bulletin to be sure.

You are right Bern, it was Service Bulletin 19, July 1969. The thinner gasket can be used on all engines prior to the starred block but not on engines with the star. The thicker gasket can be used on all engines and was the only one available from Ford after that date. 'at least back then'

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back