Ford 5000 PTO and hydraulic issue

1968 Ford 5000
Issue 1: PTO turns all the time now. Slower when not engaged and normal when engaged. If hook to the mower and I ground it out, the blades will stop the PTO from turning. Engaged it will stall out the tractor like it should. Filters have been changed, new Ford spec hydro oil, and new lift cover seals/pump seals. With the engine off I can spin the PTO shaft with little effort by hand (I cannot do this on my 1967 Ford 5000). When engaging the PTO it kicks it with seconds so I assume the control valve is good to go. Maybe the brake spring is shot? Or maybe the clutch pack is gone?

Issue 2: When I changed the hydro oil I noticed it was about 6 gallons overfilled. So on level ground I filled it to the correct level. The front end loader, MF 236, will function properly on level ground. But on any slight incline the loader won't lift. I pulled apart and cleaned the spool valve, hydro adapter block (new seals), and fixed one cylinder leak. After that, still no change. So I filled to 5 gallons over and problem has gone away. Stumped on this one????

Issue 3: Noticed a few hours after plowing, the lift arms when lifted high would leak down slowly about 2" and then correct itself. I'm assuming this is just old seals that are worn.

I guessing it's time for a lift cover rebuild, pto clutch pack, pto brake, and new hydro pump? Any tips or additional checks please let me know. Thanks, Daniel.

Issue 1: PTO brake needs attention

Issue 2: You need more oil than normal fill when running a loader. Loader is sucking oil level down too low when lifting/filling cylinders (I'm assuming this is a single acting lift).

Issue 3: I think you've nailed it.

very common for the pto brake band to have a little wear and not work correctly, so it "free-wheels".. especially when cold thick fluid between the clutch plates will couple the motion.

You can adjust the brake band and stop it, in most cases, or replace the brake band if it is worn out.

most folks just live with it.

Issue 2: You need more oil than normal fill when running a loader. Loader is sucking oil level down too low when lifting/filling cylinders (I'm assuming this is a single acting lift).

I agree with Larry. Hydraulic level should be checked with all cylinders extended. This includes loader cylinders and 3 point lift cylinder and any other cylinders you might have, like on rear implements or a hydraulic top link.

Thanks for all the info gents.
Far as the PTO brake I know this one has the metal lever that applies pressure to the PTO clutch drum. Guess I'll order up some parts. Would I also need to replace the PTO clutch drum the brake lever rides on? I'm assuming this thing is spring loaded? Guess I'll have to poke around on NH's parts website.

Does any know if there is a rebuild kit for the lift cover? New seals, valves etc? Thanks.

We replaced the pto brake in my 5000 last year along with the carrier support, the brass was worn completely off the brake and the support had bad grooves in it, the drum was ok.
We should have rebuilt the clutch pack, the pto works fine but the still turns some when cold indicating the clutches or steels or warped creating to much drag

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back