ford 515 sickle mower

JimBaird

New User
I have a strong running Ferguson TO-30 that I would like to get a sickle mower for. I have a chance to buy a 7' Ford 515 sickle mower and I was wondering if this is a good choice for this tractor? Is fitment a problem? Does the fergie have enough hp to run this mower? Any help will be appreciated.

I'm thinking it will depend on what you will be cutting. With only 28PTO HP, and a non-live PTO (correct?), you will not want to get into any really tough grass. But if you are just clipping pastures, it ought to work fine. Unlike a rotary mower, with a sickle bar you really can't just take a partial swath to reduce the load, so you will need to be careful. That said, I really like the 515 mower... And isn't the Ferguson 3 point very similar to the Ford?

We used to cut alfalfa and alfalffa grass hay with a 7ft sickle mower and an H and we mowed in 4th. Only 25 HP so a fergie should handle it fine. Neighbor had a 7 foot on a old 35 deluxe Massey And worked fine along with his ford probably just newer than the N series.

I have a ford 501 sickle mower which is similar , and I run it with a Farmall H and it works well. I put it on a tricycle type John Deere 40 for one season. That tractor has less than 25 hp but power was no problem at all. The tractor was just a little light on the front with the mower hanging on the three point hitch but only when going up a steep hill. That could have been corrected with some front end weights and then it would have been a nice setup.

The FORD 515 Mower will work on a Ferguson TE/O-20 or 30 tractor too. OEM Manuals are available and some parts too like knives. The mower can be a PITA to set up.
Might want to evaluate your needs and go with a brush hog if possible.

Tim Daley(MI)

Sickle mower take less power than a bushog will and cuts a cleaner surface if that matters. A bushog will leave stuble with mulch on the top of it. A mower will lay it down so it will dry if you want to bale it or have someone do that. A lot depends on what you want.

Ours was an Oliver 3 point mower (hard to mount) on a 44 2 N Ford and mowed everything in 3rd or road gear and less power than the Ferguson that was sold as a 3 plow tractor while the N series Fords were 2 plow models. Mower was long gone when I got the TO30 and Ford NAA and 41 9N

Not trying to hijack the post but what you know applies to my question. I have a IH mounted sickle mower and thought it would be a good 3 point match for Ford 9N. what do you mean hard to Mount? If there were blocks or short legs under it could you not just back up and put the pins on?(That can be a trick for one person) I have a old New Idea trailer mower frame in the junk so would a trailer mower be handier?? I thought 3 point would be easier around obstacles? Cleddy

Yes easier around things. But our Oliver even thow it was a 3 point mount it also had hookup points that fastened to the bottom of the axle on the fender bolts. The left side was a cable to lift the bar. the right side was the breakaway control and without the stabilizer it would not follow straight behind tractor. I do not know about any other mounted mowers, just had semi mount and trail type including old horse drawn mowers. The Oliver was called a 3 point because it did use the 3 point lift of the tractor but it also had 2 extra hard to use attaching points. I think some 3 point mount mowers just needed the stabilize bar and what on the Oliver that had to be bolted to the axle those things were fastened to frame of mower. Our Oliver was bought used back in 1960 so newer ones were probably improved since then.

I was actually replyimg to about them thinking the Ferguson TO30 might be too small to handle that mower Ford I had no power problems. but it has less power than The TO30 Fergusion that some thought might not have enough power

I had a mid 60's Perkins driven MF35 and a 515. I had a hard time getting the mower setup properly. Probably the reason waa that I didn't have a manual, was not a sickle bar expert, was somewhat new to farming.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back