Ford 7600 without turbo?

jwt27

Hi all, newbie here.

We've had this Ford 7600 for a couple years now, and I figured it was time for maintenance so I just got the manual for it. I was a bit surprised to find then that the 7600 is supposed to have a turbo - there isn't one here. Also I noticed it has a CAV injection pump, while the manual states it should have an in-line one.

On the ID plate I see:

Model: FA215R
Unit: 0B06B
Engine: 472632 0B2S

On the engine block there is:

HH3 1 C 12
E6 NN 6015-CD

How do I figure out what happened here, any ideas?

All 7600's left the factory with a turbo.
Yours could have been removed when it went
bad, rather than being rebuilt or
replaced, the whole engine could have been
swapped, or you could have a 7600 hood on
a 6600. Do the numbers on the tag match
the numbers stamped on the bellhousing,
just above and to the rear of the starter?

The E6NN on the engine block tells me that the engine has been replaced at some point in the past, likely with a BSD engine.
Is there a tag on the rocker cover near the breather tube with a BSD number on it? Look for a BSD444 or BSD444TS. If it's just
a 444, then that's a non-turbo engine. 444TS would be a Turbo engine for a Straddle-mount tractor (7600-7610). A 444T would be
a turbo engine for a 7700-7710. Also, the CAV rotary pumps were used on the later BSD replacement engines in place of the
inline pump.

If the tractor does not have a two-speed PTO and Load Monitor, then it is NOT a 7600.

Thanks for your quick replies!

(quoted from post at 19:23:28 03/25/23) All 7600's left the factory with a turbo.
Yours could have been removed when it went
bad, rather than being rebuilt or
replaced, the whole engine could have been
swapped, or you could have a 7600 hood on
a 6600. Do the numbers on the tag match
the numbers stamped on the bellhousing,
just above and to the rear of the starter?

Got the same numbers there: *B368946*

I figured the most likely explanation would be that the turbo once broke, and it was too expensive to replace. The S-bend that connects the manifold and muffler does look like an original part though.

(quoted from post at 19:35:36 03/25/23) The E6NN on the engine block tells me that the engine has been replaced at some point in the past, likely with a BSD engine.
Is there a tag on the rocker cover near the breather tube with a BSD number on it? Look for a BSD444 or BSD444TS. If it's just
a 444, then that's a non-turbo engine. 444TS would be a Turbo engine for a Straddle-mount tractor (7600-7610). A 444T would be
a turbo engine for a 7700-7710. Also, the CAV rotary pumps were used on the later BSD replacement engines in place of the
inline pump.

If the tractor does not have a two-speed PTO and Load Monitor, then it is NOT a 7600.

Says there:

Serial: E311126
Capacity: CID/ (nothing)
Part no: BSD 6007

It does have dual power and Load Monitor (no idea if the latter works, have no need for it). Also the ID tag in the cab says 7600. Not sure about the 2 speed PTO, I only have (and need) a 540 one.

Oh, just had a closer look, it does say 444 before BSD. That was obscured behind the bit that holds the exhaust pipe up. So I guess the whole engine got replaced at some point, interesting.

So we can definitely say it's a non-turbo engine then if there's no T or TS after the 444. Looks to me like someone was trying
to save a little money. You now effectively have a 6600. And no, I would not suggest putting a turbo on it, that engine was
not designed for it.

Does it still have the "Made for Germany" 7 speed transmission with dual power? That's what the R transmission code means at the end of the model number. There should be an interlock inside the trans that doesn't let you shift into 4th when the range selector is in high.

(quoted from post at 22:46:36 03/25/23) So we can definitely say it's a non-turbo engine then if there's no T or TS after the 444. Looks to me like someone was trying
to save a little money. You now effectively have a 6600. And no, I would not suggest putting a turbo on it, that engine was
not designed for it.

I figured if it was the original engine I could keep an eye out for a new turbo. Could've been a fun project. But yeah, if this engine wasn't designed for it then that would be a bad idea.

We only use it for hay in the summer, and occasionally it runs a wood chipper in winter. I've never had the impression that it was under-powered for those tasks.

(quoted from post at 00:18:55 03/26/23) Does it still have the "Made for Germany" 7 speed transmission with dual power? That's what the R transmission code means at the end of the model number. There should be an interlock inside the trans that doesn't let you shift into 4th when the range selector is in high.

Interesting. All 8 speeds are present though, and I don't think we ever had any such restrictions here in NL (but then, I wasn't around back in the 80's). The warning decals are in Dutch so it seems unlikely that it was originally sold in Germany.

Another question, if anyone knows: It's fitted with a Schindler front axle, and I assume those hubs will need oil at some point. The seals do seem a bit leaky. But where does that go, and how do I check the levels? Would the wheels have to come off?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back