Ford 7710, Super Q cab questions

Jgranatiii

New User
I am new to the forum with a new to me Ford 7710, 1986 model year, made in England. It has a Super Q cab near as I can identify it. I have a couple questions, the first is it is missing the complete rear window, no frame, latches, glass and all are gone. I have seen 2 types of windows on these, one is split horizontally and folds up, the other splits vertically and slides sideways. I would like to install the slider but I think my tractor had the folder. I would modify whatever I had to to make it work, just trying to find out if the rough opening of all the SQ cabs was the same.

Also need to replace door struts, seems like my roof is a bit low and I can't get the old ones out, does the whole roof lift off to get these out? Shouldn't it sit a tad higher normally? How does the thing come off?

Thanks, to all.

I'm thinking my super q has the same window as my q cab... my 92 british 7710 II has the slider, same as my earlier cab. I did replace both door struts but dont remember having to pull up the roof. May have reused the ball sockets but it been too long to remember the details. I did however pull/open the roof later for a new expansion valve and drier.

It looks like the roof hinges at the rear. My guess is the fasteners that hold it down are under the headliner and it needs to come down to get to them. I just didn't want to tear it out if there was some trick to it. Not much in the manuals I have on it.

It makes sense that the window openings are the same but different windows fitted depending on the faczory. I just didn't want to buy a window that would not fit and one guy that had a slider I found didn't know for sure.

Thanks.

The roof lifts from the top side... remove at least 3 bolts iirc. it folds up from the front and even has a kick stand to hold it up. You dont do anything from inside the cab.. On earlier models you had to remove the optional rear plow lights, but on the new models they are relocated to the mounting off the back side of the rear. Then you have access to the ac panel, radio, speakers, expansion valve drier heater and a/c hoses. You do have to remove any knobs and mounting nuts from the inside if you decide to replace those items.(radio, fan switches, etc) HTH

I just found the bolts you speak of. Well, 2 bolts, one missing, only one of these tight, and the loose one stripped. Would be heaven, if the hinges were mounted at all. Luckily I gave that a closer look before standing it straight up and dumping it off the rear of the cab. Thanks again for your help. I'm also gathering the struts were incorrectly mounted too, the door ends can only be mounted one way but the cab ends were mounted on top of the metal tab they attach too, seems that would bind them against the roof. I'm gonna order a new set off this site and see how that goes, after I bolt the hinges back to the roof.

To replace the door struts you don't need to do anything under the cab roof. You leave the ball stud in place. You pop the little wire clip off on each end of the strut and it will pop right off the ball. Should be no more than a 2 minute job for both sides.

As for back window if the tractor was originally made for the states it would have came with a sliding window. Imported later on then anybody guess. Either way the cab attachments are the same. Need to find the complete frame and hardware in a salvage yard and swap it in. Do some looking there are plenty of models that will interchange the window frame.

Left one up one time,, and after a rain storm, found the roof on the ground the next day. Also had purchased a tractor one time and hauled it home and found it came home without the roof. Apparently someone did not put the bolts back in. Have also had door pop open when hauling so I have special door ties now along with a roof inspection before hauling.

I have a buddy who hauled mobile homes loose half a roof off of one he was hauling, it was on a causeway across a reservoir and it landed in the water, a real mess to clean up.

Is there supposed to be a rubber seal under the roof? Seems like a never ending spot for hornets and wasps to build a nest in there without some sort of seal.

I can find a window, I wanted to be sure
the slider would fit, that would be my
preferred style to put in it even though I
think it had a folder in it from new. Was
not figuring they made 2 different cabs
because of windows, but I thought I'd ask.

Can you verify the strut position on the
cab attachment? Mine were mounted with the
stud nut under the mounting tab so the
strut ball was on top of the tab, the roof
sat nearly on top of them and they rubbed
when the door was opened. Seems like the
nut should be on top of that mounting tab
with the strutted underneath, not rubbing
on the roof when I open the door.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back