Ford 800 The good the bad and the Ugly?

SamV

Group,

I am in the market for a smaller tractor to move round bales and rake hay etc. I have one of these in the area with the front end loader and the 3 point backhoe attachment. I noticed that somewhere in the front it is leaking oil, Looks like engine oil. Battery was dead so we didn't try to start it. I am trying to determine if this is the tractor to buy or should I stay away from it? What should I look for when they do get it started?
Ford 800.jpg

Last edited:
Group,

I am in the market for a smaller tractor to move round bales and rake hay etc. I have one of these in the area with the front end loader and the 3 point backhoe attachment. I noticed that somewhere in the front it is leaking oil, Looks like engine oil. Battery was dead so we didn't try to start it. I am trying to determine if this is the tractor to buy or should I stay away from it? What should I look for when they do get it started?View attachment 68471
How big are the round bales, and how many will you be handling? An 800 would not be my first choice... I'd want at least a '65 or newer 4000 or 5000. or an industrial model with a stronger front axle.

I normally feed 1 round bale every 3-4 days, They are dry bales so they don't really weigh too much.

If I just wanted to "move bales" & "rake hay" a used construction tractor would not be my first choice as many (most?) construction equipment has been used HARD! Loaders & backhoes are really hard on a tractor IMHO!

Group,

I am in the market for a smaller tractor to move round bales and rake hay etc. I have one of these in the area with the front end loader and the 3 point backhoe attachment. I noticed that somewhere in the front it is leaking oil, Looks like engine oil. Battery was dead so we didn't try to start it. I am trying to determine if this is the tractor to buy or should I stay away from it? What should I look for when they do get it started?View attachment 68471
While people will say that front end loaders can be tough on the front axles & such of a tractor… 3 point backhoes can lead to disaster in the back. Look both ends of that machine over for cracks, and excessive wear. If it hasn’t been worked hard however, at the right price, that could be a great machine.

If I just wanted to "move bales" & "rake hay" a used construction tractor would not be my first choice as many (most?) construction equipment has been used HARD! Loaders & backhoes are really hard on a tractor IMHO!
a used construction tractor would not be my first choice

I agree, especially if it was designed as an ag tractor and was then setup and used as a construction tractor like this one was.

Well I know the owner, Was never used as a major Contruction tractor, The asking price is 2000.00 I am considering it. He was a machinist by trade so all of his stuff was well taken care of.

The oil leak from the front could be a concern. If it's just a front seal, it will be difficult to get at because of the FEL. If it's worse than just the front seal, that obviously would be very troublesome.
Another thing to consider, how long has it been since it ran? Did the fuel go bad, carburetor all gummed up? etc.

Group,

I use my 841 to move bales up to 6x6 every year. It does great. I also have a portable backhoe. The only issue I would question you about is, "Does this tractor have power steering?" It may be durnned hard to steer without it moving all that weight up front.
Another thing to question is the condition of the cylinders and hydro lines. They will probably all need replacement of re-packing on a 65 year old tractor. The loader is a pain to remove and it will certainly need to be removed to determine oil leak. At that point, a rebuild may be warranted. All said, 2000.00 sounds good considering the loader and backhoe. The backhoe alone is worth that.

I use my 841 to move bales up to 6x6 every year. It does great. I also have a portable backhoe. The only issue I would question you about is, "Does this tractor have power steering?" It may be durnned hard to steer without it moving all that weight up front.
Another thing to question is the condition of the cylinders and hydro lines. They will probably all need replacement of re-packing on a 65 year old tractor. The loader is a pain to remove and it will certainly need to be removed to determine oil leak. At that point, a rebuild may be warranted. All said, 2000.00 sounds good considering the loader and backhoe. The backhoe alone is worth that.

From what I see in the pictures, does not have power steering. That would be a pass for me if I was going to keep the loader on. Now, if you were pulling all that stuff off, great little tractor for a mower for the pasture.

Rear tires are worn out. Rear tire replacement isn't cheap. Cost of new tires will be near what you're considering paying for the entire tractor (assuming the weels still are okay).

Well I know the owner, Was never used as a major Contruction tractor, The asking price is 2000.00 I am considering it. He was a machinist by trade so all of his stuff was well taken care of.
Sam - If you know the owner, that does go a long way. $2k might
not be a bad price. Sure would first like to know where that oil leak is coming from though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back