Ford 800 - Which thermostat (degrees) of 5, should I use?

Brett24

I have a Ford 800 (actually an 850). I looked in the parts manual for the replacement thermostat, and it lists four options. They are 168, 172, 180 and 188. On this site's store there is one option and it doesn't match any of the above. It is 160. The 160 is also what the local Ford/New Holland place sells as the replacement for the 172 engine. That makes five different choices for this engine.

It is my understanding that the thermostat is selected based on what is considered to be the engine's minimum operating temperature. That made me wonder why there are so many options.

Which is the right one to use, and why?

Thanks.
Brett

I have no idea as to why all the different options. If you look in the repair manual, it will usually
specify only one setting. Myself, I always buy the hottest t-stat available. Engines run cleaner, last
longer, and use fuel more efficiently at higher temps (to a point obviously).

The way I see it, a 190 degree t-stat is open just as far at 210 degrees as a 160 would be. Neither one will
perform better than the other when you're close to the limit.

The Ford shop manual for the 850 says it should be full open at 177-182 degrees, so I vote for a 180.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back