ford 841 power master

ptfish

New User
looking at a 1960 841 power master with loader (gas). Good power, hydraulics and power steering. Nice paint, seat. 2600 hrs I assume is turned over once. List price of $7.500 seems a little high. Any thoughts?
1716205772001.png

looking at a 1960 841 power master with loader (gas). Good power, hydraulics and power steering. Nice paint, seat. 2600 hrs I assume is turned over once. List price of $7.500 seems a little high. Any thoughts?View attachment 71795
It's been cleaned and painted for curb appeal/sale value. Question is the condition of the mechanisms hiding under the paint. Loader tractors are hard on front ends, the condition of the spindles, axle bushing, and steering components should be determined. You should run it and work it (hard) and look for oil leaks/clutch slippage. An 841 does not have live PTO, which makes it less desirable for tasks like mowing/bush hogging. A compression test is a good idea. If there are no red flags, buy it for half the asking price.

What are you going to use it for? If that loader doesn't come off it can be a pain when doing simple work like mowing.

It's been cleaned and painted for curb appeal/sale value. Question is the condition of the mechanisms hiding under the paint. Loader tractors are hard on front ends, the condition of the spindles, axle bushing, and steering components should be determined. You should run it and work it (hard) and look for oil leaks/clutch slippage. An 841 does not have live PTO, which makes it less desirable for tasks like mowing/bush hogging. A compression test is a good idea. If there are no red flags, buy it for half the asking price.
I am not very wise about the pto. Why is a live pto better for mowing and bush hogging.

I am not very wise about the pto. Why is a live pto better for mowing and bush hogging.
A live PTO will still drive the implement when the main clutch to depressed. Otherwise, every time you push in your clutch, power to the implement is stopped. Further, the momentum of any large mower blades will try to drive the tractor forward, even though you might need to stop.

Not a great loader tractor. A considerable amount of rear weight will help, but still not optimal. Without rear weight, any weight in the bucket will significantly reduce rear tire traction.
Yup, without a lot of weight in the rear, you'll find yourself with the rear wheels off the ground. Been there done that.

More knowledgeable folks may be able to point out more issues by looking at the Bloomington Indiana FB ad.

A loader tractor needs power steering, but parts for the Eaton pumps of that era are difficult to locate. I assume that the loader uses a front mount hydraulic pump. The tractor has a 800 series badge on front although the rest of the sheet metal looks 801 series. A good paint job on a well-cared for tractor doesn't normally have overspray on the tires, lights, steering wheel hub and spokes, etc.

In central Indiana, FB prices for just about any 60+ year old tractor seem high.

No PS, no deal. I paid $2700 for a 961 about 5 years back with a small loader. The paint on the tires tells a tale, and it's not good.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back