Hello! Purchased by gentleman who claimed to have taken
care of tractor. It sounded and ran like a dream. Upon doing
some work on field, noticed oil getting low and oil dripping
from under tractor. After doing research I believe its occurring
somewhere near what people are calling bell housing. Its
located right by transmission, but its not trans oil. I replaced
all main four today, crank, transmission, hydraulics and rear
axle. Trans fluid was milky white. Not sure this issue. Others
seemed ok, just old on hydraulic and rear.

Back to oil leak, I honestly have no idea. When tractor was
running it seemed to only increase flow.

Could this be rear main seal? Any ideas?

Thanks
cvphoto88772.jpg

cvphoto88773.jpg

<video
src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvideos/cvvideo887
74.mov
controls>http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvideos/cvvid
eo88774.mov</video>

The white transmission fluid is contaminated with water. I'd check the top cover of the transmission for a bad gasket - there's not a lot of places for water to get into the transmission.

If you are certain the leaking oil is not transmission/hydraulic fluid, then by default the other possibility is engine oil. The fact that you observe the level getting low is more evidence. Engine oil leaking out of this area is very likely from the rear main seal. The other possibility is the rear cover on the camshaft/hydraulic pump gear which would be uncommon.

It is possible to replace the rear main seal by dropping the oil pan to access. It's a fussy job and can be challenging. There's a thread on the first page of this forum about this right now.

Good luck.
David

It is coming from whichever housing is getting low. Which one is it?As pomester said it is contaminated with moisture which is usually from condensation, and it can be getting into the bell housing through either a bad rear main or a bad transmission input seal. It is not uncommon for one of the steel hydraulic lines that pass through the transmission at the bottom to rust through, in which case hydraulic oil will get pumped into the transmission. So again it should be easy to ID by determining which housing is getting low.

Thank you! Im thinking its the rear main seal the more and more I do research and listen to folks like yourselves. Appreciate the help! Ill look for that other thread as well, as all the guidance I can get.

(quoted from post at 16:08:12 05/19/21) Thank you! Im thinking its the rear main seal the more and more I do research and listen to folks like yourselves. Appreciate the help! Ill look for that other thread as well, as all the guidance I can get.

Sorry I couldn't be of help. It is not unusual to have posters come looking for help but they insist on going with their "hunch" instead of the evidence. Good luck.

here's the most recent thread - it does have a picture.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1500083

you should find lots of threads about this, use the search feature. It's a common issue.

It does not look like motor oil to me. Have you compared it to the oil in the engine. Is the engine oil that white if it is why...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back