Ford 861 diesel neutral safety switch

Axeman20

New User
I need to replace the neutral switch. Can I take the top off the transmission? I m thinking the top will come off and the forks will disengage. But my books said I have to remove the trans and pull out the drive gears. I m thinking that s not right, that switch should be a fairly serviceable item. Does that top pull right off?

With the 5 speed transmission you remove the shift lever and the cover can be removed and all the forks stay in place in the transmission.

Mark

Your welcome, there will be a small wood ruff key that holds the lever from spinning on the shaft that you will want to watch for when removing the lever.

Mark

Are you sure that it is that button? There is not much to go wrong with them. All it does is ground the start solenoid.

Yes- unfortunately it s been sitting for 35 years out in the rain. Everything is froze up. But I tapped it few times on the button and I finally got it to move. I ll check it for continuity. Maybe it will still work! Thanks for the help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back