ford 8N Hydraulic has jerky movement

Hey their everyone,

okay, so my 52 8N is basically finished(for now)! unfotunatetly, the hydraulics have decided to give me fits. when going up, they go up smoothly for about the first foot
or so (with a 6' blade on it), and then they are very jerky the rest of the way up to the top. other than that, they seem to work fine. they go down very smoothly, and
seem to hold just fine. today was the first time that this lift has seen action in about 6 and a half years or so. initially, they hydraulics did not work at all, but I
fiddled around with the pump and the shaft from the lever and it started working. it works fine without load. it will not even lift the blade if the draft control lever
is in the forward position, although it tries. I am happy to just live with this for the moment if it is not a major issue that is going to tear the tractor apart. any
thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

When the N lift is jerky coming up it means that one or more of the four pump cylinders is not pumping. It can be caused by broken springs in the pump chambers or a broken Scotch yoke in the pump that the pistons are attached to. Either one means the pump will need to be removed from the tractor to fix.

The absence of lift in draft mode is a top cover issue. Might as well rebuild that too.
75 Tips

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back