Ford 8n Starter problem

Tinkerer60

New User
Okay, I have been working on my 8n for about 5 months. While fixing one thing I usually end up needing to repair something else. It stated with the distributor gear pin shearing off. After replacing everything electrical correlating with starting I finally achieved correct spark. Then needed to replace starter. Starter turned over once engine fired starter bendix shattered. I was told I had turned the Bendix when installing the starter and therefore it would not disengage. Thus I had to purchase a new starter as I could not "see" how to replace bendix. Carburetor was leaking when I placed new fuel in the 8n. Rebuilt carburetor, problem solved. Turned the engine over a few times. Engine fired and ran for awhile. Distributor firing order was off. Repositioned distributor. Went to start tractor . 8n turned over then was freewheeling. Sounded like Bendix was damaged again. Before I could go to the shed and look for the stuff I needed to make gunpowder. I remembered this forum. I was extremely careful not to turn the Bendix when I installed it. Can anyone tell this shade tree grease monkey what the blazes I'm doing wrong? I've been working on on trucks and cars and engines since I was tall enough ( with a chair ) to reach under a hood. I'm 60 now. I cannot even find a tractor repairman that will even look at the 8n. Can't afford a new or used tractor. The 8n was running perfectly when this started. ..... Help please? :x

I would try removing the starter, carefully look over all the flywheel gear teeth. look on the BACK side, as that's where the starter gear enters. look for broken, rolled over teeth. it will have natural wear from the years, of course. its prob. 12v by now, so any engine ''kick back'' can shear things.

Thanks for the input. I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't be the flywheel. That's a heap of trouble (without a cherry picker). You have to split these tractors to replace the flywheel? Of course as long as it is apart might as well replace the clutch. The flywheel has some worn teeth and mostly good teeth as I can tell. It seems to have an area that is more worn than the rest. Maybe it skips over the worn part sometimes and starts? Sometimes, it skips over and when it engages it jerks the Bendix causing it to shatter? This was what I thought I might be dealing with. Again thanks, no one wants to hear the truth when it's painful. :?

So where do you live I know we as in the guys on Y-T live all over. Me my self I fix tractors and pretty much do not care what one is.

And yes to replace the flywheel ring gear you have to split the tractor

I live in Placerville Ca. down the road from Sutter's Mill. A job like splitting a tractor to replace all you have to? Well I'm pretty sure I'd have to do this myself as that would be money after parts I don't have. Great thing about fixed incomes...You know exactly how much your budget can stand. Thanks for the info. Looked everything up I can get all the parts with shipping around $175.00. So spending some pain blood and elbow grease has never really bothered me. With clutch starter and flywheel I'm in territory I know all to well.

I understand the fixed income I am a D.A.V. and live that way but at least I can do a little on the side to help. I just cannot do a 8 hour day any more and have to stop when I have to stop and I have yet to find a job that will let one do that

You'll be OK, did my first tractor split this spring for a clutch in a 3600, the anticipation anxiety was much worse than the actual job. I managed to get it apart by myself with the help of a come-along. But it took 3 of us to get it wiggled back together. Make sure you have some help lined up when you go to put it back together and do not force anything.

(quoted from post at 10:23:18 08/06/17) I understand the fixed income I am a D.A.V. and live that way but at least I can do a little on the side to help. I just cannot do a 8 hour day any more and have to stop when I have to stop and I have yet to find a job that will let one do that
Yep, I hear and live that. I currently reside with my sister on a few acres. Funny thing is all around me are white color folks, something breaks they just buy a new one. Got a $600.00 Shindawa hedge trimmer for $12.00 worth of parts. Got it from a guy that said it didn't run anymore. Told him it could be fixed cheap said didn't want to bother with it and ask if I wanted it. Runs like new now. I don't understand their thinking. :roll:

Common now days people throw good away and buy new stuff that is not as good as what they have. People have been taught now days to throw things away because they are not worth fixing up. My push mower I got off Craig's list for free because the people had paved all there lawn so they did not need to mow it

If the firing order was wrong, or the timing too far advanced, it could have damaged the starter drive.

Double check the firing order, static time the distributor before trying to start it again.

Pull the starter, look at the drive, see what is wrong. It was nothing you did wrong with the starter. The drive is designed to spin into the flywheel and lock in the engaged position. That prevents it from disengaging until the engine starts. Once it starts, the drive is spun up to enough speed to unlock it, and it disengages.

While the starter is off, turn the engine through by hand, carefully inspect the flywheel gear for missing teeth AND broken pieces of the old drive stuck in the teeth. There may also be broken pieces in the bottom of the bell housing. I think there is an inspection plate to clean it out.

Don't be afraid to ask, we'll walk you through. Also a shop manual will be a valuable tool, and lots of "how to's" on Youtube.

Thanx. I just moved here from Maui. Lived there for over 30 years. Don't have my good ole network set up here. This will be solo. Come along is a great a suggestion. Better get my ducks lined up. Before I start. Again thanks.

You have stated some excellent facts. Good to know starter was not my fault. A few things that I have had to fix were due to pilot error. I tried to blow out the carb from it's drain plug that was a dummy move it leaks like a colander out of the air intake. Had to stop treating it like B&S lawnmower. :oops:

Yes sir! And I blame it on VCRs'. I remember the first one I took back to the repair shop. Told me it was cheaper to buy a new one than fix it. I looked at the fool like he was crazy! Went to Radio Shack purchased a .99 cent belt to fix it with. It took some trial and error but heck that's half the fun! Every since then I have heard that cheaper to buy a new one. That's because the new one is junk.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back