(quoted from post at 15:20:46 08/10/22)
These tractors are amazingly simple machines; they are over 70 years old and were designed to be maintained by the operator.
Some basic troubleshooting skills and a few common tools will get them running.
Butyour friends (and maybe your experience ) will often get in the way of fixing your tractor. Rarely are guesses like It's the coil helpful. We can make
a long list of possible causes for the tractor not running and start picking our favorite to check out. Or, we can step back and recognize that the trick to
fixing these tractors (or trouble shooting any piece of equipment) is to be systematic about it. You need to isolate the problem system by system, step by step
and work from most likely to least likely and replace parts only when you confirm they are defective. Jumping ahead to 'so-and-so said it could be whatever' or
just replacing parts will waste your time and your money.
It takes three things for an engine to run: spark at the right time, compression, & gas/air in the right mixture. Compression is easy; check it with a gauge.
But, you don't lose compression overnight, so if your tractor won't start, or suddenly cuts off, forget about compression for the moment, & concentrate on
narrowing the problem to fuel or spark. If you don't do that, you are going to end up chasing your tail around that tractor & spending a boatload of money to
fix what could easily be a loose wire or a clogged fuel tank vent. I offer this advice from personal experience because I am not a magician. I do not have the
magical ability to simply diagnose the problem & go right to the fix. And I dont like playing guessing games either. So, whenever my tractors stop, I confirm
both spark & fuel then go from there.
I might not be capable of telling you why your tractor isn't running, but I sure can tell you how to figure it out for yourself.
Bottom line:
Does the tractor have a spark that will jump 1/4 in open air?*
Will the gas drain out of the carb bowl in a steady stream and fill a pint jar in less than 2 minutes?
How do I know this part is defective?
These are the questions you need answered before you attempt any repairs or buy a new part.
*If you dont own a spark checker w/ an adjustable gap, ( NOT a light) buy one. In the meantime, an old spark plug w/ the gap opened to at least will work.
Ground it to a rust & paint free spot on the engine turn the key on & look for a spark.
Amazon.com: Coil-on Plug Spark Tester Adjustable Ignition Spark Plug Tester Ignition Spark Test Tool : Automotive
75 Tips