Ford 960 blown head gasket?

AllisG

Running the ford today moving gravel it suddenly started to steam/smoke.. after shutting it down looks like the engine is leaking a steady flow of oil from th front end of the motor.. is it possible to just replace the gaskets without taking the tractor apart or am I better off tearing it all down?

remove the hood, gas tank and brackets. pull the head and inspect. it might just need a new head gasket and torqued properly. not a bad job at all. if your engine wasn't using oil, smoking or making any noises I would just see about putting a new gasket on it and while your doing that you might replace your thermostat. if oil is coming from the front then temp might be causing that. good luck

looks like the engine is leaking a steady flow of oil from th front end of the motor.

Where exactly on the front of the engine? Up high like where the head gasket is located? If so, then pinball's advice is good. If it's coming out lower down then where exactly is the leak?

(quoted from post at 05:59:22 07/15/19)
looks like the engine is leaking a steady flow of oil from th front end of the motor.

Where exactly on the front of the engine? Up high like where the head gasket is located? If so, then pinball's advice is good. If it's coming out lower down then where exactly is the leak?
mvphoto39508.jpg

mvphoto39509.jpg

(quoted from post at 06:03:03 07/15/19)
(quoted from post at 05:59:22 07/15/19)

mvphoto39508.jpg

mvphoto39509.jpg

If that is oil it is defying gravity. I would check the valve cover gasket first. It would be unusual, but it could have split.

It is oil as I was more hoping it would have been a leaking coolant line but it was not.. I does seem to be leaking high on the motor so I will try and get the sheet metal and gas tank removed to check out where the oil is coming from

I agree with Showcrop and JMOR.

I would first inspect the rocker arm cover gasket. Much easier and less expensive than a head gasket.

Overheating could be unrelated. Still something that must be addressed.

Dean

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back