Ford 961 generator not charging

docmirror

I sent my Ford 961 to a shop to paint. They did a crappy job, but that's not the problem.

I have the red light on the panel that came on when the key was on, and went out when the tractor was running. I don't have the wiring diagram, but I know that many old charging systems required the filament resistance for the voltage regulator to operate right.

I know this was true on some old Ford cars from the 60s, and also on my old Fiat.

My red incandescent light has stopped working, and also the charging system no longer charges my batt. I'm wondering, for these 6V Pos ground systems, do I need the red light filament connection to get the charging system to work right?

It seems like a remarkable coincidence that the light and charging fail at the same time.

look and see if they shot paint on the armature. it could be the
brushes are paint gummed and the armature is coated

(quoted from post at 22:32:30 05/05/23) I sent my Ford 961 to a shop to paint. They did a crappy job, but that's not the problem.

I have the red light on the panel that came on when the key was on, and went out when the tractor was running. I don't have the wiring diagram, but I know that many old charging systems required the filament resistance for the voltage regulator to operate right.

I know this was true on some old Ford cars from the 60s, and also on my old Fiat.

My red incandescent light has stopped working, and also the charging system no longer charges my batt. I'm wondering, for these 6V Pos ground systems, do I need the red light filament connection to get the charging system to work right?

It seems like a remarkable coincidence that the light and charging fail at the same time.
ulb isn't necessary for it to function. In the end, the bulb is simply across the BATT to ARM terminals on the cut out, so cut out open bulb sees voltage, cut out closed, bulb is shorted out by cut out contacts.
NVBqubD.jpg

(quoted from post at 05:32:20 05/06/23)
(quoted from post at 22:32:30 05/05/23) I sent my Ford 961 to a shop to paint. They did a crappy job, but that's not the problem.

ulb isn't necessary for it to function. In the end, the bulb is simply across the BATT to ARM terminals on the cut out, so cut out open bulb sees voltage, cut out closed, bulb is shorted out by cut out contacts.
NVBqubD.jpg

Excellent, that's what I need, and thanks also for the wiring diagram. I have the hood and tank off, I'm going to order a wiring harness and do it over. Plenty of splices in stuff. Not that I think the re-wire will solve my no charge, but the current harness is pretty wrecked.

Once I have the new wires in, I'll check the brushes for contact with armature. I recall checking voltage at the reg, and I had 6.67 on the batt term and only 6.34 on the armature. There used to be such a thing as 'flash the field', I might give that a quick try too. It's been sitting more than 2 months.

This post was edited by docmirror on 05/06/2023 at 05:01 pm.

(quoted from post at 19:56:37 05/06/23)
(quoted from post at 05:32:20 05/06/23)

NVBqubD.jpg
f you flash field , be sure to disconnect wire from field terminal of gen before applying battery voltage to gen field terminal.

This post was edited by JMOR on 05/07/2023 at 01:19 pm.

I always take the wire off the reg to flash, the field and just touch it to the Batt term for maybe 1 second.

I found my issue with no lamp. The bulb holder comes out of the red lens from the rear. The GE55 bulb finally burnt out. New pair of GE55 bulbs was $8. Gulp.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back