Ford golden jubilee rear main seal issue

77hiboy

New User
Got a 53 jubilee running after sitting for 10 years, rear main seal leaked some 10 years ago but leaking much worse now with the dried up seal. I had to replace the clutch anyway so figured I'd do the rear seal. I loosened the 2 main bearings and had a heck of a time getting the old rope seal out but finally got it and ran a wire brush through the grooves and nothing coming out. Got a new felpro neoprene seal part number 6141-3 install the seal and as soon as I tighten the bolts on the rear cap the crankshaft won't move. Anyone else run into this and what I should look at for an issue?

I have installed a few rear main seals including one in a 172 in a Ford 901. I don't see much hope for success in doing it without removing the crank. I don't see how you could get the old one out without loosening all three mains. You imply that it turned freely with the front and center caps tight and the rear still loose. Did it? What did you do to seal the sides of the rear cap block? If all three caps were loosened a displaced bearing insert is a possibility.

With the front 2 caps torqued it spins free. There is nothing to seal the sides of the cap block right now as I was test fitting before I did anything. I removed the bottom half of the seal and put back in and it's still tight when I torque it down, so makes me think the seal isn't the issue.

(quoted from post at 15:24:37 11/21/21) With the front 2 caps torqued it spins free. There is nothing to seal the sides of the cap block right now as I was test fitting before I did anything. I removed the bottom half of the seal and put back in and it's still tight when I torque it down, so makes me think the seal isn't the issue.

Have you loosened the front two yet?

Right now I have the front 2 loose and even with no seal in at all it locks up when the rear cap is installed and tightened. Tomorrow I will remove the oil pump and pickup and check the bearings if one slipped.

(quoted from post at 21:28:10 11/21/21) Right now I have the front 2 loose and even with no seal in at all it locks up when the rear cap is installed and tightened. Tomorrow I will remove the oil pump and pickup and check the bearings if one slipped.

That is what I think is your next step.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back