Found a metal bandsaw!

Dave H (MI)

Appreciate all the help! I found a Jet HVBS-56M, brand new, on CL. Poor man had bought it for his own use but then lost his wife, then his interest in life, and passed away shortly thereafter. His son found it in the garage, still in the box and assembled it. Tried it once and decided he had no use for it so he listed it for sale. I made him an offer and he took it. We both got a good price, everybody walked away happy. Headed out to drop it at the farm shop. Have some brackets to fabricate and this will be a big help.
here is one on Amazon

I think you'll like it, Dave--I've used, and used, and used mine and it's a real enabler--being able to cut relatively large metal sections quickly and easily really ups your fabrication ability. A few notes of caution--the stand might need reinforcing--even a wooden shelf bolted halfway down between the legs will make a big difference in stability. Don't trust the auto-shutoff switch and don't get lulled into running it unattended--both can cause you grief. It's worth your while to be within shutoff distance of the saw while it's running--I found out the hard way, as have several other owners, and would like to pass on that bit of wisdom so you can learn without making the same expensive mistake. Be careful with the adjustable stop--it's a piece of relatively weak cast iron and is easily broken by ramming stock into it. Invest in a stock roller--it's a necessity for longer pieces as the vise won't hold them without support. For starters, even a few pieces of scrap lumber will do, just take the time to get them the same height as the vise and make sure they're stable, particularly while dragging stock over them and into the saw. Get in the habit of lowering the head when not using it--kinda like the toilet seat, it will save you a lot of grief to just lower it when you're done!

It may have an inferior blade and it could help a lot to order a nice Starrett blade. My Chinese blade wore out on the first cut of hard steel.

I had been using carbon steel blades on mine for the longest time. Recently I finally bought a bimetal blade for it and have been happier with the results. The carbon steel ones dull quickly then start cutting crooked.

I made a huge mistake not buying a hand held one at a yard sale in Ohio last summer. The guy had installed X-ray equipment and got a different job,didn't need it anymore. I could have bought it for $50. I told him I'd be back by later in the day,I'd stop back. I came back and it was sold. He said the guy who bought it did the same thing,left for an hour then came back and bought it.

Oh well,win a few,loose a few.

Hi Tim! I played with it a bit today. They never finished assembly but gave me the bag of of parts and manual. The auto shutoff is one of the pieces they left in the bag...so I guess I believe them about not using it. Appreciate the info, I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Oh, the auto shutoff is handy to use, it's just that you shouldn't trust it to always do its job. The saw SHOULD be set up so that it can't be lowered far enough to saw into the vise, but I have had cases where the part that triggers the shutoff (a little metal tab on the frame of the saw in my case, yours may be different) went out of adjustment and the saw didn't shut off. With Murphy's Law working at its usual 100% efficiency, that was JUST the time the piece I'd cut off slid along the blade and jammed in the saw guide. Got it shut down with no problem but had it kept going it could have buggered things up, snapped the blade, burnt up the belt or the motor, or caused other problems, and I learned from that and a couple similar episodes not to trust the auto shut-off. Also, as others have mentioned, get a good blade--Starrett or another name brand--then pull off the one that came with it and use it as your backup.

My experience saws ate like lathes, welders and air compressors it is a lot cheaper to buy the biggest one you think you will ever need the first time you buy. I have had a couple saws like and finally went to the next bigger size that has a coolant tank. Amazing how much faster it will cut. BUT I have cut a lot of metal with one that size.

bought mine about 24 years ago . not same name but same saw . about $128.00 . replaced ball bearing guides once . standard bearings from a bearing store .very happy with it .occasionaly have to adjust tilt on top wheel .

I have a "Rong Fu" that I got in 1983. It has always worked well with ENCO Blades or Starrett Blades. I also use my Delta 14 inch band saw with metal cutting blades(10 tooth,14 tooth and 18 tooth) from ENCO and the blades will cut right thru a Nickelson file with no trouble. The blades are designed to cut at 2900 feet per minute.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back