Freezer drain

Hobo,NC

The drain keeps freezing over I have cleaned it two times. The last time I took the drain tube and drain pan out cleaned and made sure all was clear. I have had the restrictor out why I keep putting it back in I dunno. I have read a freezer drain strap is the fix I plan to fab one up tomorrow and leave the restrictor out. Has anyone ran into this what's your thoughts.

I can clean it all out in a few weeks ice builds up when it goes thru a defrost cycle from not draining water will leak on the floor by the seal where the evaporator tube passes thru the bottom of the freezer.

FREEZER DRAIN.jpg

It is very common to have this issue in several different brands. Most manufacturers have some sort of heat probe that hangs from the defrost heater into the drain to prevent it from freezing shut. You can use a piece of copper wire or aluminum and stick it into the drain line and attach it to the defrost heater. Tom in Mn

It is very common to have this issue in several different brands. Most manufacturers have some sort of heat probe that hangs from the defrost heater into the drain to prevent it from freezing shut. You can use a piece of copper wire or aluminum and stick it into the drain line and attach it to the defrost heater. Tom in Mn
I made heat strip out of SS and a copper wire I plan to attack it with either tomorrow.

Are you sure it's not plugged up? You should be able to pour water in the drain and have it immediately drain out. If it doesn't drain, it's clogged.

I had a similar experience with my 30 year old Kenmore refrigerator. I found a corroded through metal channel behind the freezer where the water drains into . Fortunately the part was still available. You might want to do a little more digging around behind the unit. Just my 2 cents.

Are you sure it's not plugged up? You should be able to pour water in the drain and have it immediately drain out. If it doesn't drain, it's clogged.
Positive on that, the first time I looked at it that bushing had came out I ran a bush in the hole. The second time I went in from the back took the drain hose and pan out for a good cleaning. I found some scale in the hose and cleaned it best I could. The pan clips to the front side of the compressor its not easy to get it off. I was aware of the water freezing it was becoming a issue to pull the bottom basket out to retrieve what was stored in it. It sets in the kitchen my recliner is 12' away from it my computer 6' so while I set at my computer in the living room I could hear the evaporator fan noise so I put a new evaporator fan in it. That solved the noise.

I could move it and the washing machine and dryer but I like it right where they are at. Having it all in the kitchen is very old folk friendly. After my wife and mom passed my thoughts were I did not need it then the C hit and I became a hoarder. On a good note when I pulled it way from the wall Friday the floor under it was clean : )

I made heat strip out of SS and a copper wire I plan to attack it with either tomorrow.
Hobo I finally had the chance to look at your picture on a computer not on my phone. That piece that you call a restrictor looks more like a rubber bumper to prevent the a rack from sliding to far to one side or the other. Usually a restrictor is a duck bill at the very end of the drain line. Tom in Mn.

the first time I looked at it that bushing had came out
Hobo I finally had the chance to look at your picture on a computer not on my phone. That piece that you call a restrictor looks more like a rubber bumper to prevent the a rack from sliding to far to one side or the other. Usually a restrictor is a duck bill at the very end of the drain line. Tom in Mn.
I think you are worthy of a Deano Bingo!

That bushing does look like those plastic/rubber/silicone spacers on the ends of the racks to keep the rack centered in the fridge/freezer. Take two off of one side in order to slide rack enough to come out of opposite freezer wall.

X2, What HoBo is calling a restrictor is a rubber bumper for the rack.
Remove it.
I've seen some drain trays with a heating element under them.

All are on target so lets go back to the first time I went at this. The drain has a strainer to block large debris it was out of the socket/drain so a spacer from a rack may have fallen into it. If its a rack spacer it does not match any in the unit and is a little smaller/shorter it fits the hole with a light press fit. I left it out this time : )... I believe the drain was working as it should there was ice but all around the drain about as large as a 50 cent piece there were no ice. The restrictor is gone a copper rod hung off the heater. What I thought as a restrictor on the left.

freezer fix.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back