Front Axle Seperation

Tims-A

New User
I'm trying not to get wrapped around the axle. I want to seperate the extendable front axles from the main tube. The clamps are off and the center cross bolts are out. Suggestions anyone? Hugh, if I don't hear from you soon Im going for the hammer!! Kidding.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
 
Heat and penetrating oil. I use PB Blaster and have had good luck. Others use Deep Creep, Kroil, MarvelMysteryOil, etc.

Another idea that I've used is where the axle is split apart you can drive a wedge in there to open it up.

Also, a pipe or something on the "leg" that goes down to the hub and try twisting it inside the other tube.
 
Soak it for a week with penetrating oil.

Then, hook TWO tractors to it. Method has never failed me yet.

Allan

Stuck5.JPG
 
Two ideas:
Put several grease fittings into the outer tube at intervals along it then grease it. Most hand pumped guns can reach several thousand PSI separating the tubes and lubing them at the same time.

Park it between two trees and use a chain fall, or multi ton come along to pull them apart. Use buffers on the tree trunks to prevent damage, and stay away from potential snapped cables. JimN
 
And pay higher taxes? Not on yer life!

Ya about got to live in Nebraska to understand what I'm talkin' about. :>(

Allan
 
I widened the front axle on my 1755 Oliver last spring and I did use a 10lb sledge ! I also used my M to pull it forward and back with two twenty foot lengths of chain to get it loose then to put side pressure on it while I was beating on it . It was on the tractor . I beat on a piece of hardwood I wired to the spindle . It was a LOT of work by myself ! I left the wheel on for my own piece of mind even though it wouldn't have done any good if it fell off the cribbing . For me at least it didn't start to move till I got the tubes to twist one inside the other with the Farmall . Never did get them all the way apart but that wasn't the goal anyway . Good Luck ! ...Randy
 
Heat and more heat, maybe a lot of heat, and try to get to go around first with a long bar and then it will move out. Did my 856 this way, worked good and no hammer dings on it.
 
Tim: Heat, heat and more heat. With an A or SA axle, care should be exercised using suggestions like Allan's. Use a set of come-a-longs. I have heated the center tube crimson from end to end. It takes two torches and big ones. I know there will be those who say no, but that center tube is still going after 20 years.
 
I like the barn just the way it is. Might clear coat it to preserve that weathered look! But let's discuss that picture. What is this? You just happened to have this on hand???? Must be time for an intervention! I suspect you are never far from your cameras.
 
My Cub front axle defeated me on this. Lots of PB blaster, heat and a 10 ton hydraulic ram would not budge it. I was afraid that any more force was going to break or bend something. Finally, cut the back side with a cutting wheel and spread the tube to get it out. Then welded it back and ground smooth. I put lots of anti seize on it when it went back together.
 
Instead of chaining it between two tractors we chain one end to a tree. You get more of a solid pull that way.
 
If you can keep tension on it somehow with jacks or tying it to a tree, start tapping or hammering on it with a copper sledgeat the same time. I think too much heat might ruin the temper, and using chisels or wedges will distort it & make it worse in the long run. Constant tension & setting up a vibration along with penetrating oil might do it and maybe moderate heat & more of the above.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top