Front Fuel Tank Mounting Carriage Bolt

John P.

I had to pull the tank on my NAA to clean it. I'm planning to reinstall it this weekend. The front mounting bolt is a carriage bolt with a spring on it. Is there any guide as to how tight that bolt should be?
I know the spring should not be so tight that it becomes compressed or it wouldn't function, but how tight is good?

I have never seen a torque value for it, but the idea behind the spring/bolt is I assume to hold the front of the tank down but at the same time to allow a little movement within the slot. Therefore since the spring is maybe 1.25 long I would want to compress it to about one inch. or 75-80% of its free length.

Thanks for the suggestion, I pretty much have the tank all back in except for that one bolt, so I will tackle that tomorrow.

(quoted from post at 05:24:56 09/01/23)

I have never seen a torque value for it, but the idea behind the spring/bolt is I assume to hold the front of the tank down but at the same time to allow a little movement within the slot. Therefore since the spring is maybe 1.25 long I would want to compress it to about one inch. or 75-80% of its free length.

I got a chance to tighten it up today. It didn’t take much to tighten the spring to the point where the tank did not move, so I went just a tad more and called it good.

This post was edited by John P. on 09/09/2023 at 05:48 pm.

(quoted from post at 17:48:07 09/09/23)
(quoted from post at 05:24:56 09/01/23)

I got a chance to tighten it up today. It didn t take much to tighten the spring to the point where the tank did not move, so I went just a tad more and called it good.

This post was edited by John P. on 09/09/2023 at 05:48 pm.

Good deal! Thanks for posting back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back