Front Mount 8N Points

While having hood, etc., off and converting to 12 volts, generally cleaning and fixing corroded fasteners, it was a good time to change points. From this site I ordered the advertised higher end points (at a nice price) and they came in a bag Tisco Blue Streak. They were not ventilated like other Blue Streak points I had purchased in the past for a different front mount 8N, but installed them anyway and they don't even have a gap and they will not adjust. The old points from the prior owner needed changing, but they were gapped correctly at .015 and the tractor ran fine before undertaking the 12 v conversion. No bushing side play laterally, about 1/16 inch or so vertically which would seem OK. Is this just a bad set of points? Reading the archives indicates this is a problem frequently with other than Standard or Echlin, which is what I thought I would be getting from this site. Anyone have the right numbers for those brands in front mount so I can seek them locally? I am a little surprised that this site would sell these...

You need to make sure they did not x-reference the points. Some vendors will do that. The old number comes back NLA with a x-reference to another number that will not fit.
75 Tips

One of the problems I have had with several sets of new points is that the tab that rubs on the lobes of the distributor shaft is too short and will not allow the points to open far enough.

That appears to be exactly the problem with this set; it is even obvious to the eye when looking at them side-by-side. I have never had to deal with this degree of annoyance with points before.

I had the same problem with the set I bought from here, it said blue streak points but no marking on the points and they didn't fit right and I couldn't get .015 without filing the hole. I also had to tweak them a little to close parallel. I recall Bruce questioned the bushings and said he would be discouraged to here blue streak points were not as good as they should be. That was the first time I had any issues with points not working right out of the box. I have gotten points from this sight before as well as Napa with no problem, I never tried TSC. because of what I read here.

Last set of points I bought for a front mount were Standard brand from a local parts store. The face of the points were off from making full contact by 1/2 the surface area. Because of my own fault of being in a rush I didn't discover this until after they went bad in short order! I went over to EI on that one too.

Thing is fellas is that you are part of the problem, not the solution. That is those of you who brag about a set lasting you 10 plus years. If they are not selling enough sets they are either going to stop making them altogether or have a 3rd party make them as cheap as possible.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back