Fuel Tank Rust Question

lkell93

New User
Hi All,

Just bought a nice MF-20 Industrial (3 cylinder Perkins gas).

I noticed some slight rusting in the fuel tank. Is this anything that requires addressing at this point (acid wash and tank coat), or is it mild enough that I can get by for a few years and just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse?

Attachments

• 20240418_182201_exported_867.jpg
    20240418_182201_exported_867.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240418_182201_exported_13415.jpg
    20240418_182201_exported_13415.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 9
As long as it doesn't show up in the sediment bowl, I'd say you are home free. Just make sure you don't get any water in that tank. It will settle in those little spots and add to the eating power of the rust. I don't know much about phosphoric acid but that might be a candidate for a treatment to stop it in its tracks. steve

One other question, and it might be a long shot, but does anyone have an idea of what this orfice is on the bottom of the Zenith carb? It slowly seeps/drips fuel.

Attachments

• 20240418_183213~2.JPG
    20240418_183213~2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I believe the hole is a vent. Maybe the carb needs the float level adjusted. I've used muratic acid numerous times to remove rust. Wear protection and dump some in the tank and swish it around for a couple minutes. Rinse it well immediately with water then dry it with compressed air. It will look like new. Most any hardware store has it.

One other question, and it might be a long shot, but does anyone have an idea of what this orfice is on the bottom of the Zenith carb? It slowly seeps/drips fuel.
The orifice is a drain for any liquid fuel that might settle in the carb's intake throat. It should have a media such as sintered bronze as a filter in it to keep dirt from being pulled in. The fuel will most often come from heavy choking of an engine during starting. The fuel does not vaporize as well cold and doesn't all get pulled into the cylinders, accumulating in the bottom of the carb throat as a liquid. As posted too high a float level can be a cause as well as a leaking bowl gasket.

Thanks guys...and correct, there is a metal mesh looking material where the fuel collects/seeps from.

It sounds like an easy enough fix. I'm guessing it's probably the needle/float then, as the tractor starts really easy with minimal use of the choke.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back