Gas dripping from air intake of carb

xfratboy

I have been battling repeated start issues on my Ferguson F40. Today thought I'd try again and after a couple of cracks at it, I smelled gas. It would not start. I noticed that gas was coming out of the air intake side of the carburetor. I'm assuming that means somethings not working inside the carburetor. I've taken this carburetor apart multiple times in search for problems. I replaced the needle. I read something about checking the float gap but I don't know how to do that. Is there a video somewhere that explains that? I could not find one. This is not the original carburetor. This is an aftermarket that I put in about a year ago.

that is totally normal. if the tractor dont start and is being choked the gas has to run out the bottom. indication of a flooded engine.
float level,... that means to check the float if its sitting level. turn the top half upside down and see if its sitting level. if not adjust
as required.

(quoted from post at 17:18:11 06/10/23) that is totally normal. if the tractor dont start and is being choked the gas has to run out the bottom. indication of a flooded engine.
float level,... that means to check the float if its sitting level. turn the top half upside down and see if its sitting level. if not adjust
as required.

I never touched the choke. I just opened the fuel valve on the side of the bulb, cranked it 2x, then noticed the gas dripping.

I have to think the float is out of adjustment, since you say you have had it apart several times, replaced the needle and seat, and don't know how to set the float.

You need to identify which carburetor your engine has. from the parts book it appears Carter and Marvel Schebler were a couple that may have been used. A Zenith could have been fitted to it over the years. Look the carb body over for a tag, stamped numbers/letters, and cast-in letters. With that info you can find online manuals for the carb that will explain how to set the float. You also should get at least a basic repair kit, so you have a new bowl gasket and other common parts.

Post some good pictures of your carb and someone may be able to identify at least the manufacturer for you, if you can find any markings. Here are a couple links to carb manuals that might help you ID your carb and understand the carb and adjustments better.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/assets/manuals/marvel-schebler-manual.pdf

http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Carters-Service-Bulletins.pdf

(quoted from post at 00:38:56 06/11/23)
I have to think the float is out of adjustment, since you say you have had it apart several times, replaced the needle and seat, and don't know how to set the float.

You need to identify which carburetor your engine has. from the parts book it appears Carter and Marvel Schebler were a couple that may have been used. A Zenith could have been fitted to it over the years. Look the carb body over for a tag, stamped numbers/letters, and cast-in letters. With that info you can find online manuals for the carb that will explain how to set the float. You also should get at least a basic repair kit, so you have a new bowl gasket and other common parts.

Post some good pictures of your carb and someone may be able to identify at least the manufacturer for you, if you can find any markings. Here are a couple links to carb manuals that might help you ID your carb and understand the carb and adjustments better.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/assets/manuals/marvel-schebler-manual.pdf

http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Carters-Service-Bulletins.pdf

Thanks. The carb description says this on Amazon:
Replaces Marvel-Schebler OEM # 533969M91 181532M91 183576M91 194065M91

Better check your oil level too. Gas will also flow in sump through cylinders diluting the oil. Sometimes a light tap on side of carb will unstick the needle.

Have u given the float a shake ??? It might have gas in it
making it heavy that is causing this problem.

(quoted from post at 17:10:32 06/11/23) Have u given the float a shake ??? It might have gas in it
making it heavy that is causing this problem.

Well, I got on Amazon and started spending money. I put in electronic ignition, bought a new coil, bought another piece of junk carb to replace the precious piece of junk carb. Basically just waisted a lot of money and time. Put the timing back to TDC. Tried to crank it.. Battery seems like it's not giving enough power. Had it on the charger all night and after one crank it gives up. So, looks like I'll try another battery and go from there. I just keep telling myself this is cheaper than a new tractor payment, but I'm really getting tired of this. It's always something. I'm pretending I don't see all the leaking seals and gaskets too. There's quite a bit of weeping from the head.

(quoted from post at 10:07:59 06/12/23) i asked questions, u did not answer, so how can we help??its a work together deal.

Not sure what question I missed? Sorry. Maybe the one about did I shake it? No I just replaced the whole carburetor. I did an entire rebuild kit on it last year.

I think it might be getting better... tuning of the carburetor that is needed. If I'm not mistaken, the big knob pointing towards the front of the tractor, screw it down all the way and open it up one full turn. The smaller screw on the side, screw it down all the way, open it up one 1 1/4 turn. Is that right?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back