Gas flooded cylinders

hopfarm

New User
Quick question. I have a 44 Farmall H that my float stuck and gas poured out of a loose spark plug(oversite). I am fixing the carb but should I be worried about any gas left in the cylinders? I drained the oil. Not much of a mechanic so how can I be sure the pistons are not loaded with gas and will explode when I try to fire up again?
Thanks!

The squirt a little oil in each cylinder, crank a little, then put back together, warm up real good.

Definitely pull the coil wire before cranking the engine over with the starter. I didn't do that with my 400 and I had gas and fire shoot out about 8 feet, onto dry leaves. I expected to need the fire dept, but got lucky.

Take an air hose and a rag to slow the exiting air down and blow it out. Only way you will get it all. Put a little oil in when done to lube it.

Well, It's not going to explode!

But it could start a nasty fire! The object is to prevent the ignition from making a spark while you crank the gas out of the cylinders.

Do blow the excess out of the cylinders with the air hose if you have compressed air.

If you can spin it with the ignition off, do so. If there is not a separate starter switch, pull the coil wire from the DISTRIBUTOR and GROUND IT with an alligator clip jumper wire. You need the spark completely disabled just in case gas comes out of the cylinders.

Be sure to not stand in front of the open plug holes! Remember, it's not just spark from the coil, any spark can set a gas fire. Starter brushes, generator brushes, points, anything making a spark.

And of course have a fire extinguisher handy!

Once the gas is out of the cylinders, put about a teaspoon of engine oil in each cylinder, let it soak down into the rings, overnight if practical, then spin the excess out.

Be sure to check the air filter oil cup, it may have filled with gas too.

Did you find a reason for the carb to flood? If there is rust coming down from the tank,that will need to be dealt with or there will be ongoing problems. Inline filters are not a good solution, they don't work well with gravity systems.

Keep a close watch, and always turn the fuel off when parked.

When you are ready to start it, it may fire right up, or it may be difficult. You may have to pull the plugs and dry them a few times. When it does start, it will smoke like crazy until the oil burns out of the cylinders.

Hope it does well for you, let us know...

Hello hopfarm,

Remove all the spark plugs, crank the engine a few seconds... Done!

Guido.

If wire as it was when new it would have an ignition switch and a start button so leave the ignition turned off and no way you can start a fire from and ignition spark

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back