Gasket Making

tomturkey

Well-known Member
Most all have made a gasket or two for their projects. I've made GOOD gaskets and bad gaskets. Always attributed the good ones to luck and the bad ones to my skill. Soooo! Tell me your secrets you GOOD homemade gasket makers, all help is appreciated gobble
 
I use copper tubing to cut holes in gasket material. I don"t sharpen the outside of the tube- I chamfer the inside edge with a drill bit to get a good cutting edge, keeping the hole diameter the same as the tube OD. Makes a better clean-cut hole than drilling them out.
 
I have made paper style gaskets with a ball peen hammer and a ball bearing.

Lets say it is a gasket for a pump. Lay the gasket on the pump and lightly tap with the hammer around the outside of the pump to break the paper. Then use the ball bearing and tap any bolt holes or hydraulic ports. Then lightly remove material with an exacto blade. (I have successfully done this on hydraulic test stands years ago)
 
I have made many small gaskets, with tiny holes, by applying a light film of oil to the gasket surface and then carfully press gasket material to the surface. Remove carfully and you will have a perfect print of the desired gasket. Some gasket material will not work, experiment. I have made hole punches as small as 1/32"
Another easy way to cut large gaskets is to lay the material on the gasket surface and use a small hammer to gently strike the edge, cutting through the material. Holes can be cut by placing a "ball bearing" over the hole above the gasket material and striking with a hammer, or use a small "ball peen" hammer
 
One more way to make holes near the edge of the gasket is to use a leather punch and nibble out the material to make the hole for the bolt.
 
I've tried most all of the tips here at different times 2 useful tricks that I've learned in the past (maybe here) is to
1. use an old sewing machine with a heavy duty needle in it to make perforations around the edges of the gasket and
2. bullet casings work great for punching holes and I have sharpened the inside of a cheap socket with a stone for some of the larger bolts when an appropriate hollow punch wasn't available.
Hope these help
I love this site
Dan
 
Working in the field I've had to make alot of gaskets over the years. After reading the replies so far I don't think there is alot I can add to the actual gasket making process as the other posts pretty much have everything covered. But, if your gasket can't be made in one piece then what do you do? The best thing I have found is to cut a dovetail or keyhole style joint where the two halves meet. The mating of the joint design alone makes for a leak free gasket but if there is any doubt a little sealer at the connection makes it a sure seal.
 
Hello tomturkey,
Vellumoid material and a 4 OZ. ballpeen hammer.
It works for me
Guido.>
 
To add what didn't get said, leave a small "tab" on the outer edge of the gasket so you have something to hold on to while making up the joint.

D.

old-navy-taught-trick
 
I was reading then post about gaskets and the wife asnd I were laughing about the time I was desperate for a gasket for s waterpump on a 68 Mustang . (Wish I had it, a GT fastback)I used a shoe box lid , ball pein hammer and coated it with permatex sealer, before silicone. We were leaving for a long trip, found a bad pump, and bought the pump and for some reson there was no gasket and the stores had all closed. We ran that thing for yrs before trading it.
 
Now, THAT is a good trick. Simple but effective. After mounting one can always take a knife to said tab for reasons of esthetics ;-)
Thanks for sharing.
 
Ball peen hammer and a razor knife, the sharper the better. Oh, and patience, that is very important.
 
Hello tomturkey,
Ballpeen hammer, gasket material,
washer.........................DONE!
a45596.jpg
 
I made a gasket out of a manila folder once out of sheer desperation on a sunday morning. It still works great. I use the ball-peen method along with the bearings and a razor knife..it works great.
 
Hendrik,

You are welcome, and thanks for the acknowledgement. Feel free to pass it along, it may save some person some frustration.

D.
 
In a pinch, I have used cereal box cardboard for gasket material. It always worked just fine for me, although I suppose real gasket material would be better. But if you are out of it, or can't find the gasket material, a cereal box will probably do OK for lots of applications. Good luck!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top