gasoline to propane conversion

72JD1520

New User
Background: I got a 72 1520 gasoline from a friend recently. It was pretty rough and not running well. Got all the rust I could out of the gas tank with a magnet, blew out the fuel lines with compressed air, new fuel filter, sea foam carb cleaner, changed hydraulic/trans oil and filter, engine oil, and installed a new ignition switch. Carb is shot though, leaking at the gasket and needs a rebuild or replacement.

Questions: has anybody here converted their gasoline tractor to propane? Did you buy a carb designed for propane or did you use a regular carburetor? How was the performance? Did you see a noticeable loss of power? Did you see any benefits over gasoline?

Thanks,
Carl

My self I would NEVER convert one to propane. Not fun fill those propane tanks from a nurse tank.
If it was me I would buy a carb lit like the Walker brand kits I get at O'Reilly's auto parts and rebuild the carb

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. So for you, more frequent fill ups would be the deal breaker?

(quoted from post at 12:17:46 01/26/20) My self I would NEVER convert one to propane. Not fun fill those propane tanks from a nurse tank.
If it was me I would buy a carb lit like the Walker brand kits I get at O'Reilly's auto parts and rebuild the carb

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back