Generator problem

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Whenever I start up my Case DC, the voltage regulator I believe is what its called, it is on top of the generator, will start to smoke. Then when I put the throttle wide open, sparks start to fly out of it. I just noticed this when I started it up for the first time in a couple months. Is it shorting out? Should I replace the wire that goes to it from the dash? Shouldn't there be a wire going form the generator itself to the regulator, then from the regulator to the dash, or something like that? Thanks
 
You better get someone who understands how it works and have him look it over it could shorted or wired wrong if you don't understand how it works then you could make thing worse and burn up a good tractor.
Walt
 
Not that you couldn't fix it yourself but from your message it seems pretty obvious that you know nothing about how it works and I don't want you to do something that might cause more damage.
Walt
 
I agree with Walt. Bring in someone who is familiar with old tractor electrics and let them at least identify the source of the problem.

Fortunately the wiring on a DC is pretty straightforward and probably identical to the wiring on Deere, IHC, etc. tractors of the same era. So anyone familiar with the electrics on any tractor made about the same time as your DC should be able to figure out your problem without much difficulty.

----

If I were to guess based on what you've shared above, there's wire rubbing or broken somewhere between the generator and the ammeter. And the worn wire is now shorted to ground.

Further if you've seen sparks/smoke coming from the regulator it will need to be replaced no matter what else you discover is wrong...
 
If you throttle it wide open, you might need more repairs. Is it voltage regulator with 3 or 4 wires? or cutout with maybe 2. Unit may have bad contacts, needing cleaning or replace unit. Sorry, I'm not familiar with this tractor.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top