Glass tools in use -Mould blowing a Masonic Paperweight

PaGlenn

Brought my cast iron decanter stopper mould into the glassworks last week. The mould creates inkbottles oil/vinegar cruets and target balls. We decided to make a paperweight with an applied seal, like which were applied to the old wine bottles of the 1700's. We cut the spout off the bottle and applied a hot gather of glass to apply the Masonic symbol of compass and square. We also applied a star and 'G' to some of the weights.Thr original use was to make a stopper for a Seagrams whiskey deecanter.
a113663.jpg

a113664.jpg

a113665.jpg

a113666.jpg

a113667.jpg

a113668.jpg

a113669.jpg

a113670.jpg

a113671.jpg

a113672.jpg

a113673.jpg

a113675.jpg

Interesting post Glenn.

I grew up near Danbury Conn. and there was a glassworks there and I used to stop by and watch sometimes. Always was fascinated.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad

I find this very fascinating, but what da heck is the thing on your head in the 5th pick? lol

The guy making the weight is phil the owner of the glassworks. The thing you are viewing appears to be on his head but is not. It is a hanger for the blow rod.

Phil Gilson made the weight from the mould I brought in. He does all the mould blowing while I mostly work with free blown glass. I will post some of my pieces in the future. The difficulty in mould blowing is that you have to gather the correct amount of glass for the mould. Not too much or little. You also need to shape the gather of glass before insertng it into the mould.

LOL, the only thing that fit in my head was that you kept licking the hot glass so the wired your head back. But then no one ever said I had a lick of sense. lol

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back