TomClark

New User
Hello this is my first time posting as I just joined today.
I have a 1967 International B414 Diesel
It needs new glow plugs which I have bought as well I purchased a new dash indicator which is like another glow plug.
Because the glow plugs use 0.9 volts each and the dash indicator uses about the same I imagine ? So all total is about 5 or 6 volts being used.
My Question- do I need another resistor between the dash glow plug and glow plugs on the motor in order to absorb some of the voltage ?
The person I bought the tractor from put new glow plugs in many years ago and he said they burnt out the first time he used them.
I see he wired them direct from battery to a push button then directly to the glow plugs without even having a dash indicator in place, so thats easy to see why those ones burnt out quickly.

(quoted from post at 19:14:10 02/03/22) Hello this is my first time posting as I just joined today.
I have a 1967 International B414 Diesel
It needs new glow plugs which I have bought as well I purchased a new dash indicator which is like another glow plug.
Because the glow plugs use 0.9 volts each and the dash indicator uses about the same I imagine ? So all total is about 5 or 6 volts being used.
My Question- do I need another resistor between the dash glow plug and glow plugs on the motor in order to absorb some of the voltage ?
The person I bought the tractor from put new glow plugs in many years ago and he said they burnt out the first time he used them.
I see he wired them direct from battery to a push button then directly to the glow plugs without even having a dash indicator in place, so thats easy to see why those ones burnt out quickly.

As you state, the 4 GP's AND the indicator need to be in series.

The fact that you engage the GP's for a limited period of time ('til the indicator glows) explains why the voltage rating of the GP's seems so low.

Unless this needs to be a "correct" restoration, do yourself a favor and get a set of Bosch 80035 Duraterm self-regulating GP's and make for VERY quick, reliable starts.

They run on full battery voltage and eliminate all the (silly) series connections AND the indicator.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1462171&highlight=glow+plugs

Hi Tom,
Unfortunately you have bought all the old style parts and didn't know about the new style retrofit.

For old style they MUST BE WIRED in SERIES or they will go poof the first time you try to use them.
The dash resistor drops the voltage by 6V, then the input to the first glow plug in front of the battery box is 6V.

If you require a wiring diagram, let me know and I will post one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back