GM dexcool class action suit

The lawyers get millions and the guy who got stuck with the bill gets a few hundred - thats if he kept his repair bill from 10 years ago.
 
If this suit is like the Chevy PU gas tank suit, owners will get a small coupon toward a new vehicle that nobody uses. Wish attorneys got paid with coupons.
 
So what do we do now, keep using the crap, or change to the green stuff? That is probably why I developed a leak on the intake gasket of my van. Eventhough my 99 GMC Sufari van isn't listed in the settlement. Stan
 
"The lawyers get millions and the guy who got stuck with the bill gets a few hundred - thats if he kept his repair bill from 10 years ago."



Exactly. Hey you might even get a 300 dollar coupon off an a new car or truck from GM, like Ford did.
 
Well, my wifes Buick is listed, but she has just turned of 200000, but it hasnt been a problem. I never thought for one second that the problem was the coolant, or the gasket, but rather a lick of properly maintaining the cooling system. I think GM took Texaco at their word and said it was good for such and such thousand miles, and they took them at their word, and proper maintenance wasnt done.My wifes coolant has been changed every 50000 miles since she bought it, and not one leak anywhere.
 
So are you suggesting that Dexcool be changed over to a different type of coolant? I have a 2005 Saturn with Dexcool in it, and I'm due for service on the cooling system. What should I change to? I have a friend who scrapped his Olds Alero because of dexcool, and he keeps warning me of the stuff.
 
My "take" on DexCool is that it's just fine if changed from time to time AND no unrepaired coolant leak exists. If there is a leak, air gets in everytime the engine cools, and basically makes the coolant corrosive.


I have 5 or 6 vehicles running DexCool, and SO FAR, no problems.
 
You know it would be nice if we could get access to accurate scientific information rather than what some good old boy thinks. No offense to any good old boys, but when you have your equipment at stake you want it from the horses mouth.

I have been whacking this topic till I'm tired of talking about it. No body knows. Just a lot of conjecture.

Prestone made the GM stuff and colored it orange. How do I know, no BS or good old boy conjecture, I have 2 gallons of it on my shelf and the label tells the story.

Now you have more Prestone stuff and now you have schartruce Prestone said to be good for 150,000 miles and said to mix with any freeze. Read the contents and there is more than EG.

Well we are still in limbo about what to do and not to do as to coolant and cylinder pitting and all that crap.

Let's forget tractors and just talk about religion.........

any takers?
 
(quoted from post at 15:12:44 04/02/08) My "take" on DexCool is that it's just fine if changed from time to time AND no unrepaired coolant leak exists. If there is a leak, air gets in everytime the engine cools, and basically makes the coolant corrosive.


I have 5 or 6 vehicles running DexCool, and SO FAR, no problems.

Dexcool's big claim to fame is the 150,000 mile antifreeze. I have a 98 Bonni that dexcool ate a hole through the upperintake with 40,000 miles on it. The intake cost me $700 alone not includong gaskets and time. According to my claim with the suite we are entitled to a refund of up to $800. PER claim. So if like If I turn in all three of them, 1 for the intake, and 2 for the water pump (it happned twice to the pump). Luckily for me I kept all of the recpiets for taxes!
 
I had a 2001 Chevy Blazer ZR2 with the Dexcool and hard water. Three water pumps and they finally figured out the issue. Well by this time the radiator was shot, all the hoses were weak, and the overflow tank was a swamp. My local dealership wrote a letter to Chevy on my behalf to get it taken care of out of warranty. Chevy said no. I paid out of my pocket. 6 Months later the engine devleoped MASSIVE knock and other issues from the Dexcool. Chevy dealer again tried on my behalf and no luck. Traded the truck with 80,000 miles on it. I highly doubt you will get any monetary satisfaction from this. I have seen three of these websites in the past and all were lawyer groups looking to get rich. I was told that if I had the dealer check my coolant at normal intervals (every 3000 like oil) the problem would have been noticed and not caused catastrophic damage. I was also told in a letter from Chevy that coolant should be changed every 30,000 or each year. Since I did not follow this guideline as outlined in my owners manual they could not help me. I wish everyone the best of luck with this, but again, you might not get too far.
 
The green stuff. Whatever brand you prefer. It'll say compatible with ANY make and ANY color on the bottle. Dump that Dex-Cool.
 
Accually, Texaco (I say Texaco since I cant remember the name of the company they contracted to do it) made it originally. Prestones formula is VERY, VERY close. So close in fact, Texaco tried to bring suit against Prestone. They lost. Now Dexcool should not be confused with other types of similary colored antifreezes, as there are some of those out there too, and they were and are good coolants, they have just gotten a bad name becuase its orange, for example, Chryslers ORANGE coolant, which is the exact coolant as Fords Gold, Certain JD coolants, all made by Zerex. Bottom line, IMPO having worked with several AF companys, read below what I,and someone else said about Dexcool and maintenance,if youre still in dought, DUMP IT and use your personal flavor.
 
Without a doubt, GM had a run of cooling system issues back in the late 90's. Whether Dexcool had anything to do with these problems is, I think, unproven.

Of the hundreds of class-action that have been filed and settled over the past few years, very few have paid much cash to the plaintiffs. The attorneys seem to make out well, however.
 
anyone else remember that video of a chevy pickup exploding when hit on the side by tank ? now ya chevy got bad rep from that but do you also remember that the FORD company admitted to doctoring the tank with explosives ? ya not many do remember that part just the it exploded part... yep it was a ford produced video to show what there competitors vehicles do when hit in the side, yep made ford lots of money run out & buy a ford... but ya give the lawyers the coupons... i agree there
 
I think what you mean is that the hot exhaust in the EGR sytem MELTED you upper PLASTIC intake, causing a coolant leak. HARDLY the fault of the COOLANT, DexCool, or otherwise.

HOW do you figure the coolant eats the PLASTIC??? It's the HEAT of the hot exhaust gas!
A CHEAP repair, if done in time...
 
Yea, and like one above is saying the Dexcool caused his engine to knock..........and ate up 2 waterpumps......
 
iremember that, i still drive one of those chevys, its got over 200,000 on it, and 3 different people have tried to move imovable objects with the front end of it causing it to need 3 diffrent front sheetmetal clips, and she aint blown up yet, but i got the lawyer paper around somewhere in case i ever want to get me a new truck, not likley, mine runs, all the time, no mysterious black boxes,and its been paid for for over 23 years now
 
Hey dude, sorry but your cricis is overwhelming. You are attempting to blow smoke up our arse but you will have to blow up up someone elses as I smell a SKUNK......and you get the nomination.

Mark
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top