Godspeed, Endeavor!

Looks like Bob don't know what he's talking abaut ---
IF any one who don't live by the Bible as the Bible says --- don't invite them in your home or bid them God Speed --- IF you do -- your just as Evil as they are. 2 John 1: 10 - 11

Now that was easy --- have any more questions ?
 
The expression is found only in 2 John 10, 11 in the King James Version. "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." Most recent translations render the Greek word "greeting." It comes from a primary verb meaning to be cheerful. It also has the meaning of "be well." Thus the idea is that to say God speed or greeting is to wish someone well on his journey or in whatever endeavor the person might be engaged. In the text mentioned above John is warning against encouraging, or wishing well false teachers. To bid the false teacher God speed, or greeting, is to indicate that you are in agreement with that teaching and you wish him success in continuing to teach that false doctrine. However, to do this is to invite judgment from God.
 
I use the King James Version -- and Only the King James Version for serveral reasons.
in the passage of 2 John 1: 9 - 10 - 11 ---- there is NO (( Greetings ))

Who so ever transgreseth and abideth Not in the Doctrine of Christ -- Has Not God -- he that abideth in the Doctrine of Christ -- he has Both the Father and the Son.

IF there come any unto you -- and Bring Not this Doctrine - Receieve him NOT into your home -- Neither Bid him God Speed

If you do bid him God Speed -- you are as EVIL as he is in his deeds...

I see NO RELATION to a Journey In These Passages -- this passage is in relation to each home being Visited (( Receive him NOT into Your house ))
 
Local church......not mine........believes that only the King James version is the true word of God; to quote the pastor, "If the King James bible was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me". Gotta admire a man who takes a position and sticks to it...........
 
In what I read Godspeed could be short for Go with God. Its getting pretty bad here when a simple comment or word can bring out those that would challenge the world. I have been a christian most of my life and I am finding the are more and more I cant stand about many other of the faith. As far as the King James version, what makes it so special.?? The interpretors in those days werent near as learned as the ones today. Lets all learn greek and go back to the original Bible. Henry
PS Godspeed Endeavour
 
Since not one of us knows anything about the people on the Endeavor, whether they are Christians or not, seems to me there has been a rush to judge and condemn.
 
"If the King James bible was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me".

Uhhh....the KJV was in existence in Jesus' time on earth?
 
What does the quote "God speed" mean?

The expression is found only in 2 John 10, 11 in the King James Version. "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." Most recent translations render the Greek word "greeting." It comes from a primary verb meaning to be cheerful. It also has the meaning of "be well." Thus the idea is that to say God speed or greeting is to wish someone well on his journey or in whatever endeavor the person might be engaged. In the text mentioned above John is warning against encouraging, or wishing well false teachers. To bid the false teacher God speed, or greeting, is to indicate that you are in agreement with that teaching and you wish him success in continuing to teach that false doctrine. However, to do this is to invite judgment from God.
 
Sorry to you folks who are OFFENDED by the traditional space launch wish of good fortune!

Now that I've appologized for that, you'll have to find something else to PB&M about for the rest of the day.

However, even as you are busy finding something ELSE to fuss about, PLEASE be PROUD of the USA, and this brave PIONEERING crew!

The successful launch is one of the few GOOD news items this morning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godspeed
 
I certainly didn't notice anyone being "offended" Bob. I think we are curious about the meaning of "Godspeed". If you want to confuse that with offended then that is your option isn't it. Enlightened yes, offended no.
 
Yeah,

If those folks wanna ride that roman candle, they could probably use a few lucky rabbit's feet and four leaf clovers as well. :>)

Allan
 
So "Godspeed" has nothing to do with speed but everything to do with "God be with" Endeavor. Whew, sure gled we got that out and cleared up. Have a nice day Hank.
Henry, (Hank) is a Dutch name isn't it.
 
Careful Al you are getting into the realm of the the occult when you bring up lucky rabbit foot, a four leaf clover and a horseshoe. No room for lucky horseshoes on the Endeavor. Maybe some mistletoe would be OK.
 
Not Judge or Condemn Nancy --- just using the Word as it's suppose to be used --- when you add or take away from the Word -- the Word says -- you will be Cursed...
 
Yep,

Just hope they don't have to walk under any ladders or have to cross paths with any black cats up there!

Just can't be too careful in these kinds of circumstances. :>)

Allan
 
"Godspeed" = "Go with God" but not real sure I know what it all means. I understand it does sound good, pure and well intentioned but I have to wonder if people understand the meaning of what they say.

Quite often we hear the politicians say "God bless America" and wonder what an agnostic or person of another faith thinks when the comment is made.

Sure does stir up some angst when I ask. I never won friends when I asked these types of questions in Sunday school or catechism either. I can remember the minister breaking his gavel when I persisted in questioning him about the trinity.
 
You want to know what makes the King James so Special ?? First --In 1603 to 1611 -- it was the FIRST Bible wrote from the Original Spricps transulated into English from Genesis to Revelation.

Second; It took forty seven clergymen & Scholars chosen for their accurate translation -- DIVIDED INTO SIX COMPANIES who worked independently -- and ALL HAD to AGREE BEFORE it was printed.

If you want to change the Meaning of God Speed --- that's your option -- but the Word does say --- IF you Add or take away from the Word --- you will be Cured --- see Rev. 22: 18 - 19.

Third: ALL other English Bibles where taken From the King James -- and the words where some times changed.
 
Well Vern --- I see your learning - as in ( God Be With you )
But there's a little more to that --- you first have to know if they abideth in the Doctrine -- and if not --- then your as evil as they are -- and partaker in evil deeds.
 
As far as the Politicians saying (God Bless America ) as Far as I am concerned (( I WOULD NEVER SAY THAT )) what I would say is (( AMERICA REPENT OF YOUR SINS )) then ask for a Blessing --- But NEVER until you repent ...

Yes you are right --- when you question man -- you will get some interesting responses -- and most times -- it's not that good !
 
BUMMER can't say anything on this list without getting slapped in the face. BUMMER

Darn it missed the whole thing last night had to go get my Oregon medal for being a good guy and joining the Navy years ago.

Walt
 
Man some people cant stand it when you wish someone well. What ever you do , dont say goodluck, Merry Christmas or Happy Hannuka, because you will offend someone. Godspeed was obviously meant as a good will measure, translate the bible how you like, but tolerance is least likely given by the people that preach to be tolerant. Lighten up folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Yes, I know the bible says if you take away or add so much as a jot or a tittle, you will be cursed. But I also know that when the King James version was translated, their knowledge of the Aramic, Greek and Hebrew languages was not nearly as extensive as it is now. No language translates completely to another especially if that language is ancient. Languages evolve and it takes a great deal of extensive research to even come close to an accurate translation of an ancient language. The secular world has always tried to tear down the bible and prove it false. Without fail, every attempt to disprove the bible has failed. In fact, all attempts to disprove the bible have ultimately contributed to its validity. Of all ancient texts scrutinized and tested for validity, the bible has consistently "scored" higher than any and proved itself to be accurate and true over and over. Unfortunately, the scientists just can't handle that and keep trying. BTW, there have been several mathematicians, including one at MIT, that have proved that the odds of life "just happening" are so statistically astronomical that it is virtually impossible. Again, the scientists just can't stop trying. Someday, they'll get to tell it to Jesus with the rest of us. They just won't get to stay there. Personally, I look forward to going home and worshiping my Lord forever. No interruptions, not trivialities, just heaven and all my Christian brothers and sisters. Even so, Lord Jesus, Come!
 
We cannot Prove or Dis-Prove if (Back then in the 1600's) the Translation was done wrong -- however your right about " No Language Translates Completely "/ THAT'S WHY YOU WILL SEE WORDS PRINTED IN (( ITALIC )) in the King James Version...

But no other Bible will show that !!!!!

Nancy -- I'm with you (( To Worship the Lord for Eternity ))
 
Well Vern........sounds like you've been adjudged (below) to be evil; i.e. a "heathern" as my late (mostly illiterate) Grand-ma (Dollie Harr*son Gitch*ll)(1885-1962) used to call her unruly grandchilluns. Are you really evil?
 
What you have here is a bunch of window licking short bus riders.

You merely wished the crew of the space shuttle a safe trip. I'm a simple person and I knew what you meant.

This band of idiots that spent all day turning it into something else should get a life.

All you guys do here is cry and complain. The gas is too high, the Kruse auction hurt my feelings, blah blah blah.

And then when someone points out how juvenile you all sound one of your head window lickers runs off to tell Kim.

Which one of you is the hall monitor today?
 
why don't you take a valium and chill out? Since you know the Bible so well you should know there's the New Testament where we are living under the New Covanent and not under Law. So you don't need to be judging everything thats said here.
 
I did not -- nor do I condemn any one -- are you making this up ? I just tell it like it is -- no more --- no less ...
 
I believe when I say [Godspeed] It means God be with you for the rest of your journey on earth and for Him to take you home at his speed.And if you believe in Him and what He sent his son for.I don't consider that a curse !! [I will carry my swoard for the blood of the lamb,and fear not my destination] Jim H. SWPA.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top