Golf cart battery connection corrosion

BarnyardEngineering

Frustrated. Last fall I did a bunch of work on Mom's electric golf cart. Pulled the batteries out, had to replace the battery tray. Cleaned everything up with lots of baking soda and clean water. Brand new battery cables from stem to stern. Stainless hardware wherever I could use it. Everything clean, bright, and tight.

Left it in the barn over the winter. Everything was fine and clean when I got it out here last week. Put it on the charger for the first time this spring. Now there's corrosion EVERYWHERE!

I just don't know what to do with the %$#@ thing. Push it over a cliff maybe.

That's too bad! Some batteries just gas more than others. Have you checked the charging voltage, or is the charger tapering down properly?
The original battery in our JD 4600 did that, corroded everything close to it, JD finally gave me a new JD Strongbox battery, it lasted 11
years with no corrosion. For our MC's and ATV's I have gone to AGM batteries, no corrosion with them.

Are the batteries the type with fill caps?

If so, I have found running the electrolyte a little below the full indicator helps keep them dryer, especially rough riding, off road equipment.

Also as the battery charges the level will rise, especially if it was filled when the charge was low.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back