good productive day

souNdguy

got up at dark thirty and met the farrier and got my horses all trimmed up, afterwards, went and renewed my truck and trailer tags, stopped by the bank on the way back in, cashed the ol' paycheck, then hit lowes for a sanding disc for a test.

got home, looked cloudy so decided I better do my exercise/walk sonner vs later.. got that done, got my new stickers on my tags, then got down to business. re-cleaned the shop and re-aranged it to setup another work bench I dug out of an estsate sale for free, has a lil vice on it, ( precision style, 3" jaws.. etc.. ) and some drawers, and some slip in wood blocks at the edge to work on stuff out from the table... got that setup in the middle of the shop, then went up in the rafters and tied into power at a lamp fixture and made a power drop. setup my drill bit sharpener and arbor press on that bench. arbor press had been living on the floor since I got the other drill press working which ate up mor eof my other work bench.. hadn't even been able to to really use, vs just test function of the drill bit sharpener since getting it months ago..

made up a retaining clip for a handcart my wife likes to use.. one of those folding 4 wheel kind.. she lost one of the 2 clips last week.. did a few other lil maint items around the house, then back to the shop

last week i had gotten a very hd 2'x 3' metal cart at a school sale.. I built a 3x3 wood top to set on top of it's 3/4" marine plywood top to give me some more width, and then alyed a big truck myd flap over that as a cushoned surface. I had a spare 6" vise that I mounted on the corner.. now have a good roll around cart .. has a good hd platform underneat it at just abov ethe casters I have a couple tool boxes and a milk crate setting on.

then, I dug thru my junk power tool pile and pulled out an old benchtop belt sander that had a 6" disc sander on the side. i got that thing, maybee? 20 ys ago from somebody who said it just stopped working.. I turned it on and it would try to run if you pushed the belt.. but other than that.. nada.. so it's been living in the damaged tool pile since.

decided to see what it might take to resurect the sander. belt was good, had a lil 2hp motor on it, with no load or gear drive on it it spun good.. ok, I lubed the roller bearing / bushing assemblies, adjuste dthe belt tensioner ( was WAY too tight ).. and then cleaned and adjusted the belt tracking assy... put it all back together and zoom.. worked like new.. in fact.. as I hear.. it WAS new and never used really. prev owner when they put the belt on really honked it down and it was choking the motor out.. not to mention the bushings and bearings ( looked new, no wear ), had not a drop of lube on them.... runs like a scalded dog now. I slapped the peel and stick 6" sanding disk on the side and adjusted the angle table, then mounted it to the edge of my new work bench, added a tri power tap to the power line I dropped from the ceiling and all was well.

I spend the next hour sharpening a coffee can full of old drill bits, and then dressing another coffee can full of chissles i've been collecting on the cheap from yardsales and a few 'refuse' rescue's .. noticed the neighbor throwing away 5 masonry chissles including one of those '+' pattern ones, as they were dull.. I took em.. good american made ones from the 70's.. dressed up with a file nicely, and then hit them with the belt sander.. kept my angles good.. nice addition to my chissle set now. plus have about 50 more usefull wood drill bits.

still had some time so decided to address the leaky fuel tank on my old murray lawn mower.. pulel dthe dash and steer wheel ( sheesh! ), and got the tank out.. had a slip about 1.5" long, from mid top to mid bottom.. allowing you to only put about 3qts gas in it.. hose to filter was rotten too.. had replaced filter and hose to carb last week. put a new hose on from the tank this time.

cleaned tank out and let it dry, cleaned again with carb cleaner.. used the smalles needle bit I had and drill stopped the crack sanded and scuffed the area around the crack, and used some fuel tank repair epoxy mix on it.. made a wide patch covering the crack and the seam with a 1" margin on all sides.. let it touch-cure, then reinstalled, and will let it cure till next weekend before i add fuel to it. , should be good.. can't be any worse than it was.. :)

got the mower al put back together and am now heading off to grab a bite of lunch then on to work!

soundguy

Soundguy, What are you doing? Trying to make the rest of us look bad? Or you mainlining coffee?

Man since I retired (and experenced cancer) the only thing I get is more lazy every day. All you did in a day would have taken me several days.

More power to you!!! Hope to work on the wood pile tomorrow. I still have several pieces of equipment to work on and a tractor to paint, hope you are a good example and I get some ambition and "get er done".

In admiration, joe

[b:64a726510f][i:64a726510f]
Good grief Chris;
I'm with R Geiger......After reading about half of the stuff you did....I was starting to think about a NAP!!!! SOOOoooo tired!!!! :lol:
Wish I had some of that energy!!!!
Got rid of my two "Hay burners" didn't have the time to ride anymore, and not enough $$'s ta feed them.

Nice post about a very busy day!!!! :wink:

Gary :) [/i:64a726510f][/b:64a726510f]

i love coffee.. 2 cups a day.. plus sometimes a monster 0cal absolute zero energy beverage.. :)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back