620 Radiator Bottom tank on a 1955 60? Bad crack, need replacement.

acorn

Good morning! I have a 1955 John Deere 60 that I'm replacing the radiator core in. When I got everything apart and cleaned up, I noticed a big crack in the bottom tank. I googled up a replacement tank, but the numbers on mine seem to be for a 620, not a 60. So now I'm wondering if the radiator core I got will even fit. Any suggestions?? Maybe they're interchangeable, but that's not what I'm seeing online.... Here's a pic of the crack, and the part number on the tank.

Attachments

• PXL_20240331_143557868.jpg
    PXL_20240331_143557868.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
Good morning! I have a 1955 John Deere 60 that I'm replacing the radiator core in. When I got everything apart and cleaned up, I noticed a big crack in the bottom tank. I googled up a replacement tank, but the numbers on mine seem to be for a 620, not a 60. So now I'm wondering if the radiator core I got will even fit. Any suggestions?? Maybe they're interchangeable, but that's not what I'm seeing online.... Here's a pic of the crack, and the part number on the tank.
I'm going to assume that is a cast iron part? And I will assume the crack was caused by freezing. Given those two assumptions, and that you have good access to the area, I'd thoroughly clean the area and braze the crack over. Clean, and a good flux will make that a forever repair. steve

Looking at the parts book that is the correct bottom tank if your 60 has a pressurized cooling system. The cores appear to be the same part number (AA5582R) with either system.

The radiator bottom tanks are the same for the JD60 and JD 620 . A4950R subs to A5315R with pressurized system.. Core will fit..

I'm going to assume that is a cast iron part? And I will assume the crack was caused by freezing. Given those two assumptions, and that you have good access to the area, I'd thoroughly clean the area and braze the crack over. Clean, and a good flux will make that a forever repair. steve
Yes, and yes to the assumptions. Thank you Steve! I've never done any brazing but I'll look into it!

Looking at the parts book that is the correct bottom tank if your 60 has a pressurized cooling system. The cores appear to be the same part number (AA5582R) with either system.
Excellent, thanks very much!

Yes, and yes to the assumptions. Thank you Steve! I've never done any brazing but I'll look into it!
If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch, go buy a couple of flux-coated brazing rods and practice on your part. I'd run the torch over the whole part for a while to bring it up to somewhere around 500 degrees, and then get it red hot on the crack and start applying the rod. It is NOT rocket science, and you'll have another skill under your belt. steve

Tis the season 80 to 175 bucks will get you a different tank it would appear. Might want to check the upper tank back side not far from the top inlet to the exhaust mount. Don’t ask me why I know this!

Tis the season 80 to 175 bucks will get you a different tank it would appear. Might want to check the upper tank back side not far from the top inlet to the exhaust mount. Don’t ask me why I know this!
Thanks for the heads up! I sure hope the top tank is okay - although it has a few twisted-off studs now :(

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back