Gooseneck stories

RickSCt

New User

I just wanted to ask anyone who has a gooseneck trailer if when they first got it they had any mishaps? I work for a Highway dept. at a transfer station and this guy comes in yesterday with a nice new dually chevy and in the back he has his tailgate to throw away that looks like a perfect half circle. Said they told him when he bought the trailer this would happen once. I guess he unhooked it got in the cab and tried to drive away. Expensive lesson. Rick
 
I had a bit of a mishap this summer. My 2000 Ford dually had a B&W flip-over hitch, and when I went to turn the ball up, I couldn't make the release rod stay out. I put a vice grip on it to hold it while I flipped the ball. I hooked up the trailer, and went in the house. The following Friday, I loaded my 4020 to take it to the county fair, and off I went. I felt a few funny bumps on the way out, but I was in a hurry. Got to the fuel stop, and noticed the trailer was a little too close to the truck. The vice grip was still in place, and when I loaded the tractor, the ball shank pulled out of the socket and went on top of the bed. It had poked a big hole in the bed in front of the hitch plate. Fortunately, the whole hitch coupler hadn't gone through yet. I unhooked the ball, and it fell out under the truck. Had to crank up the trailer and put everything back in place (and take the damn vice grip off!). Thank God for safety chains. The bed liner sort of closed back up so it wasn't too ugly. I learned a good lesson- don't mess with heavy equipment when you're too tired! I've since traded the truck on a 2008, and learned how to properly operate the B&W hitch.
 
A few years back I was hooking up to mine. I had a 1984 Chevy C20. Anyhow I didn't have it quite low enough. The hitch jumped over the ball and I ended up with a nice 4" dent in the center of my tailgate when it hit the jack. Nothing that a diamond plate tailgate guard wouln't cover.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top