Got an email from trade school

Philip d

I got some good news from our local trade school the other day. They informed me that I?m able to attend this fall to either of the 2 electrical courses i applied for. I applied for a 1 and 2 year course incase I only got accepted to one of them. The 2 year gives training on more in-depth computer controlled electrical components which would be used throughout industrial plants and the 1 year is mainly residential. We?re a 1 hour drive to the nearest industrial plant (our dairy processing plant) and most local electricians in this area say they?re plenty busy working around here without getting involved in large plant projects. To be honest I really am going to miss spreading manure ,planting barley and corn and chopping silage this year. I?m very glad we have 45 head of beef cattle here now to help with the transition. We won?t need a lot of new feed this year but we?re planning to grow some corn next year maybe 10 or so acres. I know we?ll all be fine though . We?ve all been through a heck of a lot worse than a career change. A friend of mine has been adamant that electrical work is an awful job and getting started at 44 is an insult of a career. He keeps telling me I need to be looking for a middle management office job in town. I actually enjoy working with my hands getting dirty and enjoy being out in all types of weather. That?s what I?ve always done and don?t want to give that up to sit in an office handing out orders. It?s not that there?s anything wrong with that either but that?s not what I?ve been cut out to do. My ultimate goal in all of this is to eek out on my own at some point and finish my working years off as self employed again still doing a manageable amount of barn chores every day and putting up a bit of feed every summer. Maybe one of our kids may decide to join me if it works out or maybe they have other plans and that?s perfectly ok too. Having your own plan that makes you happy is far better than being miserable following someone else?s.

I have a brother who is a electrition, he has had a great career at it.It is a good trade and may keep you in touch with farmers. Sounds like good news,all the best in your future plans. Lloyd

I guess I missed another post, but you are out of dairy now?

Best of luck to you back to school, I wouldn't want to do it. Not sure on what your bottom line needs to be, but I would have been tempted to work running equipment for someone (industrial/ag etc)

Thank you,we?re still milking until the end of March.We?ll still
have land rental income and my wife has a good job now too
so we won?t be cash strapped. In this area other ag related
jobs start out around the same as electrical starts out at. Red
sealed electricians normally tend to get quite a bit more per
hour than most other non governmen or university degree
required careers.

Thank you Lloyd,I know at least 3 not far from here too and none of them ever say they don?t have plenty to keep them busy.

As far as trades go, electrical is pretty attractive. If I were forced to reboot my life, it would definitely be one of the options.

The guy that dreams of a middle management office job needs to get his priorities straight. Mediocre pay for a position that can be eliminated at any time.

Philip, I think you have a good plan, especially if your goal is to be self employed.

Thank you ,that?s my thoughts as well. If I were to seek out that type of employment at my age that will almost completely eliminate any chances of full time self employment for me.

Well glad your plans are coming together, and I hope this all works out for you and your family. Tough choices had to be made, and some times the best choice is to stop going in one direction and turn and head off in another. One thing I am sure you know goes without out saying is it is a lot easier to get out of dairy production, than it is to go into dairy. So long as your wife and kids are all on the same page, good deal. From one dairy farmer to another, you realize, no one in your family is ever likely to own a dairy farm again, just the way it is. Not all bad, just the facts as I have seen them over my lifetime. Best of luck.

Congratulations on your acceptance into the trade school, it will be what you make of it, our local adult education schools are not terribly difficult, but the instructors will recognize your drive and help you learn as much as you are willing to learn.

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Rich

If you can manage the 2 yr school I would go for it. Education can never be taken from you and is a ticket to opportunity. The future is always an unknown opportunity. Without the education that opportunity will never be available. 1 year out of you life to gain knowledge for yourself and families betterment, may be a struggle now, but will make life much better in the future.

Congratulations, Phil! You are taking charge of your own destiny. Too many people wait around for the government to take care of them. With your kind of drive, you'll be successful!

Thank you Bruce,yes I?ve been giving that side of it a lot of consideration as well. There?s been a few exit the industry then later on return but not too often does it work out that well. We?re all on the same page thankfully,if there was resistance it would be extremely difficult to move on. A lot of the breeding marketing and showing side of Holsteins has all but disappeared and that was almost an inside hobby and some extra marketing that I really miss as well. The robot is very hands off so to speak too and it does change the cow side relationship with your herd. Not saying it?s a bad thing but it?s definitely different.

the more diverse your education is the more ways you have to turn if you hit a snag in the road. If your honest and hard working in 2 years you will have more than you can do. In 3 you will be needing one of those kids to help.

I appluad you for going back to school at age 44. We have a few new guys that got a new career at about 40, they have done well for themselves. I wouldn't think twice about the choice between commercial/industrial vs residential. Go for the big stuff and forget the residential work, it'll pay better and will be more challenging work.

I would think first year in the 2 year course would be same as single year course with att the other in second year. So opt for the 2 year and if things do not work out for the 2 year you can always drop the second year at that time and still have first year of education.

Sounds like a good plan. From what you've said of your goals, it seems like the one year would better fit your needs. Industrial work would require you to relocate to an urban area, and industrial electricians are less likely to be a "one man show" because of the expensive equipment required. With residential, you can control your workload and be able to take some time off when you need to. My dad was a carpenter, and took a lot of time off in the summer for farming. As far as a choice of trade, I've always thought electrical was about the best. Not too physically taxing, mostly in the dry, and pays as well as any (well, except plumbing, of course, but that can get kind of nasty).

My wife went back to college and graduated in her forties, nothing wrong with you going back. Any electrician I know weather retired or working seems to be doing pretty good in life. I know a young man who farms and has his own side electrical business. No problems getting off work when he needs to do farm work.

I must say Phil that you have pretty much mastered writing the English language, that's one hurdle you won't have to deal with when you go back to school. Good luck with everything.

Morning: Here's another two cents of btdt...Got both the red seals and CG tickets, and what i found is that my two year course was all residential back then .
Good choice could be the two year, to get the one year of credit in residential towards your apprenticeship, and the second year as more specialized in the field of PLC's and signal controls.
To many times I installed the PLC, put power to the connections and the " expert" did all the rest, even with the contractors I had, on board the same thing took place as one group installed and a second group put the stuff in service, they made the bucks and had the clean job, so to speak. Now I teach PLC's to those becoming these experts who would of thunk that?
So a residential dude that knows how to write and program a PLC/heat pump system/variable frequency motor drive/Ac controls, in addition to just installing and supplying 120vac to it, is worth a lot more.
The local HVAC companies here are short on the single service ability type of person [ elec/ac/oil burner mech combination], one field can lead to another, or you may find your own little niche in the service field
HA! remember if your not afraid of heights, those wind towers need service....
what ever the choice , do your best at being the " old man" in the class, its all good.
And the micro breweries use electronic signalling controls.....besides sampling control..:)

One of my sons is an electrician. After High School he was asked by mother of a friend, where are you going to college. His response was Ranken Tech to be an electrician. She sorta chuckled and said well good luck. Her son went to college and got a BS in marketing. He works at Lowes for minimum wage and my son knocks down around 70K a year. You be the judge. We need lights everyday. GOOD LUCK.

I have gotten out of production agriculture 3 times now. The first 2, I had a place leased and lost my lease. This last time we were managing ranches for absentee owners. Started out as great potential for actuall ranch ownership. Old man died and we got left behind.
Life doesn?t end with the shipping of critters even though I thought it would. I went to driving a truck pretty much over the road. Not the best deal but it has allowed us to buy an 80 and own a few critters again.
You have a good plan. Myself, I would only get enough education to get in the door then my employer can provide me with what I need from there. That being said I HATE formal education. Never have learned to take notes. Give me hands on and I pick it up instantly.

The electrical career has been good to me. It put plenty of groceries on the table.
You are not just working with electrical stuff but every mechanical, plumbing and building component out there.
You are dealing with every other trade out there from initial setup of temporary power to the final turn of the door lock.

Philip: I would take the one year coarse now. My reasoning.

1) You have a very limited need for the extra none residential skills at this time. The distance to where this skill is needed would be the factor.

2) Your not going to be flush with bucks even after selling the cows. So get started earning income one year faster would be better at this time. You can take night classes if you find out you need the additional skills. ( I have a BA degree that I earned this way)

In my Rural area the residential guys are doing better year in and year out, than the commercial guys. The residential guys just hit singles and keep working steady. The commercial guys hit home runs but often are not busy.

Also I would like NOT dealing with MEGA companies when doing commercial work. Mega companies are all about the "LOW BID". So your here today and gone tomorrow.

Good example Charlie, but don't forget the orthopedic surgeons who are knocking back a half million or so. All kinds of extremes in this old
world so just comparing two people is difficult to really evaluate what it all means.

Go for it! I was a desk jockey at a couple of different insurance companies for 28 years. When I was downsized at 53 years old, I decided I was really tired of that rat-race and wanted to do something different. I went to HVAC school. After one semester of classes, I was able to get hired on as an apprentice by a local contractor who needed manpower. I worked days, and went to school at night for the next year and a half. Lost 30 pounds! I have 3 years experience now, work is steady (usually overtime actually) and have had several companies recruiting me. Yeah, I took a cut in pay at first but my income has bounced back pretty rapidly. I love what I do and I don't have any regrets.

We have a local guy here who is now right about 50. He went to school about 14 years ago to be a plumber. He too got told to go to school for something that would get him an office job. Most of his work is new construction. But if the economy goes south? He says there will always be toilets to unplug :lol: !

I'm still recovering for a total knee replacement. He just installed a new water heater for me the other day.

I have to agree with the others. Lot of jobs can and will go away in tuff economic times. Electricians and plumbers will always be able to find work.

On a side note my nephew is thinking about dumping the dairy cows. He can still crop land and have his beef cows and still have time to work a 40 hour a week job.

Rick

I'd get the most education I could if I were you,people without specific advanced skills are going to be increasingly left behind in today's technology based economy.

Go for the industrial training. Way better to program some Allen-Bradley control center in a plant than running pipe in a ditch. Little wires are always easier than big ones. Residential guys don't know how to work in plants.

What dr sportster said.

I was on my way home grumbling to myself about my job...I'd had a bad night as a controls electrician in a factory...when I stopped at a McDonalds on the way home.

Temp was right around freezing, raining, McD's was putting in a new drive through ordering sign, and there's 2 guys in a trench muddier than heck running conduit and cables.

I felt bad grumbling about my job.

Fred

The worst service calls I had to make was to a slaughter house. This was back in the late 60s, very little sanitation practices.

Go for it. Either course will work, but industrial controls are a lot more challenging today. I have always advised all of my younger relatives, if college isn't for you, go into something that requires a state license. Can't go wrong.
Paul, retired electrician

Plan to eventually get the two year industrial certification no matter what, through night classes, dual major, online classes, at work training, etc. The one year residential certification could be a great stepping stone so you can work while finishing the two year course, but I think you will find that only having the one year certification would make you the permanent low man on the ladder and you will always be behind any recent graduates with the two year cert.

Farming will soon utilize more and more automation with industrial controls, servo motors, robots and PLCs. With your back ground you might get along very well with most farm customers.

Take a good look at your community, if there is no local industry and the farming community is dying out, there may not be many good paying jobs compared to other communities.

A side note, livestock farming and residential work may not mix well. Will you always have time to shower and change clothes before a service call? House wives do not appreciate a repairman who comes into their home smelling like livestock or manure.

In my opinion as someone who has wired hundreds of houses you don?t need a full year of classroom time to learn residential wiring. Six months at the most then find a good quality, reputable electrical contractor to work for. Hands on experience means a lot. Learning the tricks of the trade, spending money on good tools that make money for you. Time is money. Money can be made in residential work but you have to hustle to do it. Better money can be made in commercial or industrial work. Wishing you the best whichever direction you decide to take.

I made a phone call to the contractor who I?m hoping I?m able to get full time work with this morning. The first question he asked regarding course selection was am I planning to remain living in my area. As soon as I said yes he immediately said take the 1 year. He said if I have industrial work in my horizon I?ll be traveling a minimum of 1 hour to work if not 2+ every day. He has himself and 4 other full time employees at the moment and has more than enough work to stay busy. Me mentor is in his late 60?s and is still working because he enjoys it but won?t have a need for a full time employee. The guy I talked to this morning has at times worked with my friend to help him out and they get along well. My friend said if I get along well and his good health continues long enough he?d sell me his business. That?s certainly a goal to work towards but I?ll leave that up to him because only he knows how he feels when he gets up in the morning.

Lady that worked with my late Wife, Commercial electriction, second last job was wiring new hospital, when that ended she went to work for Lowes and now manages the electric department there. Seems to like it better than she did the hospital work. And all that crauling around in and under things is not good for an older worker.

I am thinking the one year is better but if he is getting finachel help that is now avaible for 2 years if hedoes not take the 2 year now if he decides later he wants or needs it will that help be avaible. And is not the first year of the 2 year the same as the single year. And if he would now opt for the 2 year could he drop the second year after the first with no problems or would that make big problems. He might decide at end of first year the job is not for him. And he has to decide at his age how long he can possibly craul arount in craul spaces that are only 2" higher than height of his chest. That might make a good reason to get second year. All questions no one else is asking.

A bit of a query here. If you take the two year program, will that enable you to also work residential?
You've done your due diligence. It sounds like both choices are good options. More education is always good, but requires additional time and financial commitment. Are there federal or provincial programs available for mature or returning students? If so, glom onto their grants with both hands- it's your tax money.
I returned to Tech school in my late thirties to complete my Red Seal for welding. The teachers were excellent, and offered far more instruction than was required by the courses. I found the academic work to be straight forward, but my welding instructor took great pleasure in kicking my butt to correct twenty years of bad welding habits!
At a younger age, I would have enjoyed the industrial work, but now I don't care to travel much. Residential and light commercial work around home sounds attractive. Some days, you might be pulling cable in the muddy trench, but that is offset by the inside work. Somebody always needs a garage wired, or a new plug in the bathroom.
Going to trade school mid-career was the best thing I ever did. I returned to work with fresh knowledge and a positive attitude. It wasn't free and it wasn't cheap, but was a good investment. unc

I will train you in residential right now -- Staple the wire 12 inches from the box . Now you are trained for a residential helper. That is all you really need to know.

If I can qualify for employment insurance benefits the
government will pay for 70% of tuition part of travel and I?ll get
ei benefits while I?m there also. Most of the guys in this area
do a lot of commercial applications as well ie stores welding
shops fish plants but they all say I?m my area there?s no work
for large commercial installations.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back