Got Troubles ...And Its not my tractor

My Wifes sister in sicily is dying from cancer.my wife is still recovering from extensive back fusion surgery that went very well .her daughter and or grandaughter does not want to go home with her to sicily for the sad events. I could go for 2 weeks , and come back seperately. but .there is few dependable folks here to look after my 18 pairs cow calves. , i might sell down to 10, but still gonna be tuf for a 15yr old kid and a neighbor guy to look after them while i am gone .if i sell out completely i can never get back in easily,and have the nice clean herd i now have . i am certain many of you know what you would do in my situation , so tell me..... both of us are worn down from health problems.i suggested one of my sisters to go , but i know my wife wants me to go and i will be miserable and out of step all the while she is gone out of lonliness. .i do have sons , one is crippled from abroken neck ,the other flys all over with his new job he loves. they just cant be bothered to look after cows like i did for my dad, last winter while i was in the hospital they were barely capable of pulling trees off fence and keeping cows in when the storms came thru. and naturally they want me to stay on the farm .

When one has animals they HAVE to be a priority, especially if there is no reliable help to fill in while you're gone..

Do what you have to, you don't owe anyone an explanation, if they don't already understand your situation they never will.

(Oh, yeah, did I mention I REALLY hate having a guilt trip laid on me over extended family goings-on.)

Are you feeding these cattle by hand (as in small bales and 5 gal. buckets)? Or continuously battling them getting out, and it takes you (someone they are familiar with) to get them back in??

Because if not, I'm not seeing that 18 would be any harder to take care of than 10 (as in somebody else doing your chores). My point being, I don't know what there would be to gain (chore wise), by selling down to 10.

Perhaps you can turn to somebody else for help with chores other than family. Neighbor, friend? That guy in church that recently retired? Someone that has some free time, or can make themselves available if need be.

I'd figure out a way to keep the cows, and still go to Sicily. That is, if you want to keep them. If thinking about selling out anyways, well ... that brings about other factors and changes things on the outlook.

I would search out a retired farmer, or just ask at local feed store or equipment dealerships if they might know someone that could fill in . I understand what you are saying about having a herd with no unknown health or calving issues. You will only be going away for a week or two.

Jim, I like the idea of looking outside the immediate family for some short term help. Selling off part of the herd wouldn't appeal to me either.

Your veterinary may know of someone to help you out. Or contact your local school's FFA chapter so see if they have a student (or a class project) wanting some real life experience. When I was in high school we had a neighbor who broke his neck in a car accident and I milked their cows for about 6 months during his recovery. Just a couple ideas of where you might find someone to help you out. Best wishes while you go through this trying time.

Still recovering from back operation should be Drs final word and I dought any good Dr would agree to a trip like that. SO NO GO. TOO much setting without moving around. Libal to destroy her back completely.

Just ask her DO YOU EVER WANT TO WALK AGAIN OR DO YOU WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IN A WHEEL CHAIR?

Are you looking for someone to take care of the cows for free or are you willing to pay $25 per hour or more to find someone with cattle experience? Finding short term experienced help on short notice is always a problem for one man operations.

As for selling, how does that fit into your long term plans, abilities (health wise), and income needs. Would renting out the pasture, row crops, small grains, or raising hay generate the same income with less intensive labor requirements?

Reading between the lines it sounds like you don't want to go on the trip and you don't want your wife to go either. Maybe she could go alone or you could accompany her for the just the first few days and fly home separately.

I grew up on a dairy. Never went on a vacation. Never played sports of any king.
I had to get up early and take care of the calves and be ready to catch the school bus.
I had to get home after school and work until 9 pm.
In the winter it took longer to do things outside. So sometimes I worked until 10 pm. Then do my homework.

I started working when I was in the third grade.
I stopped working when I went to college.

I have no desire to take care of animals ever.
No desire to live in a city either..

I feel sorry for you and your family's loss.

Dying from cancer is something I pray I never have to go through.

I didn't make it to my Granddaughter's HS graduation.

The second best thing, I watched the graduation on Youtube.

Perhaps someone could send you a video of the funeral..

When I was a youngster a dairy cow broke Dads leg. The cows were distributed among neighbors and relatives while dad recovered.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back