Governor 2 arm vs 3 arm how to convert

tasander

New User
My tractor is a combination of years. It has a 1949 engine mounted on a 1951 Frame with Sherman transmission. I've been working on it for over 2 years now. New brakes, Clutch, carburetor, PTO shaft, water pump, radiator, hoses, alternator, etc. etc. I am now working on the governor. The engine has a three arm governor on it (type were throttle rod is over engine and comes down vertically) but the throttle rod setup is for an 8's 2 arm governor (from dash under intake/exhaust manifold). The rod that comes from the throttle is wire tied to the curve of the vertical arm with the spring on it. It kind of works but the response is very poor. Note: there is a Proof-meter but the cable goes to the clutch housing, not to the governor. Cable for proof-meter does not turn so it needs work too. To fix both issues, I'm looking at replacing the 3 arm governor with a 2 arm governor. I see lots of comments about the poor quality of after market governors. I can get a after market 2 arm with proof-meter connection on line for between $150 and $400. Any better than others or are all made by same offshore company? Would I be better off trying to locate a used 2 arm that has the proof-meter connection and rebuild it? I see used 8N governors with proof-meter connections for sale from $140 to $200. Rebuild kits from $100 to $180. Looking for suggestions., experience etc. Thanks for reading

tasander,I would get a OEM used salvage yard/ebay ect.Then take it apart and inspect it for worn parts,may be able to put it back together an install it as is.

Welcome to the forum! I'm with Den, I'd get an OEM unit.
What's your general location? Maybe someone on here that's
close to you has one they would part with reasonably.

"there is a Proof-meter but the cable goes to the clutch housing, not to the governor"

Tell us "the rest of that story", please!

(quoted from post at 22:29:37 05/10/19)
"there is a Proof-meter but the cable goes to the clutch housing, not to the governor"

I'm betting that he is confused that the proof neter cable is actualy a old Sherman shift cablee in the clutch housing, :D

(quoted from post at 01:52:55 05/11/19)

I'm betting that he is confused that the proof neter cable is actualy a old Sherman shift cablee in the clutch housing, :D
y $ on you.

(quoted from post at 19:32:05 05/10/19) Welcome to the forum! I'm with Den, I'd get an OEM unit.
What's your general location? Maybe someone on here that's
close to you has one they would part with reasonably.

I'm from Turners Station KY. There is s used tractor salvage yard about 20 miles form me called Pleasant Hill Farm Supply. I've been there once and they have several N's in various stages of disassembly in their yard but for the most part, the items left are frames, sheet metal, tires, etc. I'll give them a shout on email to see if they have anything left in the yard.

OK, I'll get pictures to post. That may explain why it does not rotate when engine is running. I didn't notice anything when I replaced the clutch bearing that had disintegrated. It is attached to the dash where a proof meter would be. But no large hole for proof-meter. Showing my ignorance here.
mvphoto35995.jpg

mvphoto35996.jpg

mvphoto35997.jpg

(quoted from post at 00:52:55 05/11/19)

I'm betting that he is confused that the proof meter cable is actually a old Sherman shift cable in the clutch housing, :D

I looked up Sherman Shift cable on internet and found this picture. Sure looks like what is on my tractor. Now that I learned something new, I can quit for the day.

mvphoto36000.jpg

(quoted from post at 17:10:31 05/11/19)
(quoted from post at 00:52:55 05/11/19)

I'm betting that he is confused that the proof meter cable is actually a old Sherman shift cable in the clutch housing, :D

I looked up Sherman Shift cable on internet and found this picture. Sure looks like what is on my tractor. Now that I learned something new, I can quit for the day.

mvphoto36000.jpg
Yes sir, that looks to be what you have. You also have a 9N/2N governor.
The throttle linkage is different between those and the 8N.
I would still try to find a good, used 8N governor. Proofmeter not required.
Your dash doesn't have the place for it to mount and they're not very accurate anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back