Graham-Home Sweeps/Shovels

Help, please. I have an old Graham-Home (sp???) pull-type field cultivator or chisel plow (dunno what it should be called).
I want to go from the narrow, reversible end points to a sweep type. I'd like to get ones 12" or so wide, to hopefully cut the roots of weeds, as the points/shanks are 12" apart.
THE BOLTS OF THE ONES CURRENTLY ON IT ARE 2 1/2" SPACING (center to center OUTSIDE/NUT SIDE/BACK OF SHANK) AND ABOUT 2 3/16" (center to center (inside/front of shank).
I have NO IDEA of the degree of the angle.
I have catalogs from Shoup and Abilene Machine.
Shoup has:
a) Ridge Till/No-Till in 14" size (50 degree angle). "Fits most makes"
b) Cultivator Sweeps in 14" size (54 degree angle). "Fits Buffalo, Orthman, JD and IHC"
Questions:
1) Is the idea of going from chisel point to sweeps a good one to kill weeds better?
2) What do I need for "sweeps" and where can I get them?
Thanks, kelly

Depends on what you want to do with your chisel. With the spike points, it will penetrate hard soil much better but like you say, will not get the weeds and grass, which is what the sweeps are for. I also have a Graham-Hoeme with sweeps and I've replaced a few of them but don't know what degree of angle they are. Sweeps are not very popular around here anymore as I have seen piles of them almost given away a farm auctions. Here is a picture of what I have maybe it will help. I also have some NOS shanks that I would like to sell, cheap. They are 2" wide so you have to have sweeps that will fit the shank. My sweeps are 18" wide and the holes are approx. 2" apart.
a159701.jpg

a159702.jpg

a159704.jpg

If your spacind is 12" you need a 14-16" sweep to get weeds the same as on a field cultivator with a 6" spacing you uses an 8-9" sweep because the weeds will slide past and that are narrower.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back