Gray black smoke around top engine.

Jubilee Naa

Tractor run good except gray /black smoke around top engine and little out exhaust when first starting when cold engine itdoes not use oil or say I haven’t had to add oil still full on the dip stick for months I clean the wire filter on side engine it slow it down for week or two now it back it also very little smoke comes out the oil cap i. think thes old tractor do smoke some not sure how much. Oil pressure stay around 40 psi mid throttle when bush hogging starts at 45 psi Please give me some schooling. !!12 volts system. What cold cranking amp battery do I need to buy. I own tractor about 5 to 6 months not sure if the battery came with tractor is correct
 
From what you are saying, it sounds like blow-by caused by worn compression rings. Depending on how much you use your tractor, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Have you tried cleaning or even replacing that oil cap. If it gets plugged up, that will cause too mulch crank case pressure.
As for the battery, why do you think you need a new one?
 
Jubilee Naa

Tractor run good except gray /black smoke around top engine and little out exhaust when first starting when cold engine itdoes not use oil or say I haven’t had to add oil still full on the dip stick for months I clean the wire filter on side engine it slow it down for week or two now it back it also very little smoke comes out the oil cap i. think thes old tractor do smoke some not sure how much. Oil pressure stay around 40 psi mid throttle when bush hogging starts at 45 psi Please give me some schooling. !!12 volts system. What cold cranking amp battery do I need to buy. I own tractor about 5 to 6 months not sure if the battery came with tractor is correct
I agree with Jim, worn rings will cause blow by into the crankcase which will show as smoke out of the top breather and out of the oil fill.
A worn engine will also be a hard starter.
These engines are not high compression or big, so a normal car battery that fits is usually good enough.
HTH
Keith
 
From what you are saying, it sounds like blow-by caused by worn compression rings. Depending on how much you use your tractor, I wouldn't get too excited about it. Have you tried cleaning or even replacing that oil cap. If it gets plugged up, that will cause too mulch crank case pressure.
As for the battery, why do you think you need a new one?
 
Jim and Keith thank you both for your comments. The reason I need to replace the battery is due having to put on charge a lot lately think it may have a bad cell. I would like to get a new battery but my issue is not sure if my current one is right one that goes on a 12 volt jubilee I have 12 volt system what type do you all suggest? Thank you in advance for your advice

On my smoke issue can you put something call Sea Foam how does this work? And will it be okay to add it to my tractor a buddy said o should try it but he doesn’t on a tractor lol thank for the advice.
 
Jim and Keith thank you both for your comments. The reason I need to replace the battery is due having to put on charge a lot lately think it may have a bad cell. I would like to get a new battery but my issue is not sure if my current one is right one that goes on a 12 volt jubilee I have 12 volt system what type do you all suggest? Thank you in advance for your advice

On my smoke issue can you put something call Sea Foam how does this work? And will it be okay to add it to my tractor a buddy said o should try it but he doesn’t on a tractor lol thank for the advice.
 
The tractor start a runs good it just smoke the oil pressure is starting 45psi and idle at 40psi. Would you rebuild the whole engine or just put compression rings To do a a rebuild on 1953 naa jubilee usually cost if someone else does it ?

Thanks
Old Jubilee
 
My early message was all chop up lol

Would you do a rebuild on compression ring etc or do a whole rebuild on Motor? I think the oil pressure is good starting up 45 psi and bush hog long 40psi. It just smoke a little oil cap and around the top of engine around cap on side wire mesh I clean it now it back smoking a little Will the sea foam help on smoke? And where do you put it in and how much. If you have another product to use please share. Thanks in advance some times you have read in between my words they don’t make since. lol

Old Jubilees
 
Jim and Keith thank you both for your comments. The reason I need to replace the battery is due having to put on charge a lot lately think it may have a bad cell. I would like to get a new battery but my issue is not sure if my current one is right one that goes on a 12 volt jubilee I have 12 volt system what type do you all suggest? Thank you in advance for your advice

On my smoke issue can you put something call Sea Foam how does this work? And will it be okay to add it to my tractor a buddy said o should try it but he doesn’t on a tractor lol thank for the advice.
Jubilee didn't come 12V so you have to get out the tape measure and figure out what 12V battery fits. Also important to have a battery hold down so that has to come into play.
After charging the battery have you checked the charging system? Battery is just to store power, but it takes a charging system to keep the battery voltage up.
 
My early message was all chop up lol

Would you do a rebuild on compression ring etc or do a whole rebuild on Motor? I think the oil pressure is good starting up 45 psi and bush hog long 40psi. It just smoke a little oil cap and around the top of engine around cap on side wire mesh I clean it now it back smoking a little Will the sea foam help on smoke? And where do you put it in and how much. If you have another product to use please share. Thanks in advance some times you have read in between my words they don’t make since. lol

Old Jubilees
45 PSI and 40 PSI hot your tractor is a superstar. You say the tractor smokes but doesn't use any oil which is a good thing. The tractor crankcase has to breathe and that must be the smoke you see. What condition is the oil? What weight oil do you use? Seafoam in the gas will possibly clean up carbon on the valves and possibly clean the rings. In the crankcase it will loosen and clean up some sludge and thin the oil. It's decent stuff but it's not magic.
I would keep fresh oil in it and run it the way it is. You should do a compression test just to know where you're at and a valve adjustment for maintenance. Unless you have money you just want to spend I would think long and hard about a rebuild. Paying someone to rebuild your tractor motor if done right by a knowledgeable mechanic will be costly. If it's done by someone that isn't knowledgeable it will be really costly. Finding someone to do the job will be the hardest part.
 
Eman85 gave good advice. As for the battery, look for a group 24 or 34 12 volt. Cold cranking amps really isn't a big deal on these 4 cylinder engines.
 
Jim an Eman 85.

First thank you both. The oil I use was15 /40 in gallon jugs the oil is about 5 tractor hours old two to three moths oldSo you say the smoke seeing coming out of oil cap is okay It not a lot but no at bile. I just put a new radiator on it two weekends ago the tractor didn’t come with a fan schroul do you think I need one. Tractor run great except it smokes little not using oil And the oil looks new looking. It not a show tractor but it not bad looking tractor. I just have 7 acre small farm in NC I use on it bus hogging and garden small . I probably want use the sea foam if you all don’t think it slow down smoke. I pretty sure it is the battery I going buy one this evening after work
 
Before or after you buy a battery put a voltmeter on the battery posts and take a reading. Then start the tractor and take a reading to see if you charging system is working properly. This would also be a good time to clean all battery cables or make new ones if they are questionable. I despise the repair clamp on battery cable ends, rather have them soldered on.
 
Eman85

I tried the volt meter and it was nothing on 9 bolts so your correct bad battery. But do you think I need use a can of sea foam may help on cleaning the rings a carbon ? But I don’t want mess up anything else by putting that in my gas. What is your thoughts. Thank for any knowledge you can share. .


Old Jubilee
 
Eman85

I tried the volt meter and it was nothing on 9 bolts so your correct bad battery. But do you think I need use a can of sea foam may help on cleaning the rings a carbon ? But I don’t want mess up anything else by putting that in my gas. What is your thoughts. Thank for any knowledge you can share. .


Old Jubilee
My experience with Seafoam is it can't hurt anything to try it. I have a can on the shelf and have used it for fuel treatment and oil treatment. It will help clean carbon, I'll add some to small engine fuel to help with that. I use a little pre oil change on some vehicles to clean the crankcase a little.
After battery replacement check the charging system or you will slowly drain the new battery every time you run the tractor if it's not working properly.
 
Hello. Well I have the battery situation took care of. Still smoke a little I didn’t add sea foam I just lest it alone .what can you do to to keep lift the from go down so quickly when shut engine off. While running it does good but as soon you cut the engine off lift leaks down quickly. Plenty fluid looks clean please share you all thoughts


Old jubilee l
 
I'm not sure if there is an inspection plate on a Jubilee. If there is you can observe the internal mechanism and where the fluid is leaking from. You can lift something, shut the engine off and see if it's the lift cylinder in the upper cover or if it's something else. might need a mirror and a flashlight.
 
Thank you but I don’t see any fluid on ground it is alway dry when park or maybe you to look inside to seek where it is leaking on inside.
 
Thank you but I don’t see any fluid on ground it is alway dry when park or maybe you to look inside to seek where it is leaking on inside.
Yes, you'll be looking for an internal leak. There is a piston above at the inside cover that activates the lift arms, if it's leaking it will allow the arms to drop like you describe. There should also be a pressure relief valve that can leak and allow the fluid to escape dropping the arms.
 
Thank you does that mean the rear end will need to be separate front half of Tractor to fix. Is this something a shop need to repair? Thank you for you advise

Old jubilee
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top