grease fittings won't take grease

realolman

Does anyone have experience with a good tool or method to get zerk fittings to take grease?

If I pump the grease gun hard enough, the fittings will blow out (pressed in ) so the grease fitting itself is open... it's the joint that won't take the grease. I've seen a thing that you're supposed to fill with oil and put on the fitting and smack with a hammer to force the oil into the joint. That seems like it would work because the force of the hammer blow would also hold in the zerk fitting, but I don't think the location of all the joints would allow access to such a thing. It seems that having a flexible hose would defeat the purpose, because I can already blow out the fitting with a grease gun.

I have several joints like this , and I'd like to avoid taking them apart if possible... any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks

what usually works for me is to heat the zerk with a propane torch, but yours might be beyond that little trick. You might try removeing the zerk, poke a wire into that hard grease as far as possible to make a hole, and the squirt some penetrating oil in there. Let it set for a day or so and squirt more penetrating oil if needed, then replace the zerk and see what happens.

Check the areas where the grease comes out when the area is full and clean them. I would think that the joints are gummed up with dried out grease . You could try soak it down with some oil as it is thinner and my get through. Others will probably chime in with better ideas than me.

(quoted from post at 05:30:49 04/17/11) Check the areas where the grease comes out when the area is full and clean them. I would think that the joints are gummed up with dried out grease . You could try soak it down with some oil as it is thinner and my get through. Others will probably chime in with better ideas than me.

Hey... that don't sound like a bad idea to me.

they make a plunger type thingie a that you put wd40 in and it has a fitting for a zerk you smack it with a hammer and it forces the wd40 in and loosen old grease -- found mine in a farm book

the tool is sold at auto parts stores it comes with flex hose. Worked good for me. Cost about $25

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back