grounding 52 b

rickb52

New User
could anyone tell me if a 52 b is 6 or 12volt and pos. or neg ground. just pulled one out of a barn with no battery
 
If it was six volts it will be pos ground. You may look on the voltage regulator and see if the voltage is on it any where. Look at the light bulbs and see if they are six or twelve volts. The starter don't care. If it is 12 volts it will be neg ground.
Doug
 
Alllllllll two cylinder Deeres REGARDLESS if 6 or 12 volt were originally Positive grounded.

If you cant find 6 or 12 volt info on the Genny or Voltage Regulator or the light bulbs or coil (unless its a Mag), if its 6 volts and you put 12 to it the starter will turn reallyyyyyyy reallyyyyyyyy fast and the lights would burn up instantly and the ignition coil (unless its a Magneto) would get real hot. If its 12 and you put 6 to it, the starter will turn slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, lights dimmmmmmm

Some 6 volt Delco gennys had a black label while 12 volt were red.

John T
 
(quoted from post at 03:38:31 08/26/10) If it was six volts it will be pos ground. You may look on the voltage regulator and see if the voltage is on it any where. Look at the light bulbs and see if they are six or twelve volts. The starter don't care. If it is 12 volts it will be neg ground.
Doug

Nonsense. All JD two cylinder tractors whether they be 6 volt, 12 volt, or 24 volt are positive ground. New Generation tractors are also positive ground until 1969 when Deere went to alternators.
 
Once more everyone "ALLLLLLLLLL Two Cylinder Deeres" were Positive ground, and I certainly agree the later model A tractors were more likely 12 volt then 6 although he mentions a "B".

John T
 
Rick,

If the electrical system has been switched to use an alternator, it is probably 12 volt and Negative ground. If it still has the original generator, it will be 6 volt and positive ground.

What do you think John T? Am I on the right track with that?

Kurt
 
Did you know that Deere offered a larger battery box that held two 6v batteries like the A had for the B. Said it was for cold climates. May never get to use that information again so I thought I would slip it in while I could. :D
 
Back in the day, cars and tractors were positive ground. I fellow I bought my '50 Desoto from felt the gen didn't work. Always discharging.

Had it set up as neg ground. Used a kid's '48 Ford F5 for threshing last year. Same thing.

Makes me feel very old to explain that sort of thing.
 
Hey I must be old also lol been there done that. Best I recall yearssssssss ago Ford and Chrysler products were in the Positive ground camp while GM started the move to whats now standard negative ground.

John T
 
I gotta agree since most alllllllll, except for special made, Alternators are Negative ground and about all the B's, even late model, the SM 2029 wiring diagrams still show as 6 volt.

IMA THINKIN YOUR RIGHT AS RAIN

John T
 
All I can say is , my '53 -60 was neg. ground when I bought it in 1971. Turns out it came from 'Home' pos. grnd. - never had any problems. Had the generater overhauled and the reg. checked, the guy who did it told me about 'polarizing' - 1 zap and it's still good. HOWEVER, it still takes a whole rhumpa to start! HTH
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top